Diving with a low platelet count

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaz2015

New
Reaction score
Hi

I am new to this forum and diving, I am just about to embark on my open water training in fuerteventura.
I had childhood ITP to which I had my spleen removed, I have been in remission since I was 8, I am now 42.
My platelet count is stable but low, which is normal for me.
Will diving affect my platelet count ?
Is there any info regarding diving and platelets counts ?
Would be grateful of any advice from any heamotologists on here.

Thanks for any info in advance
Glenn

Hi

I am new to this forum and diving, I am just about to embark on my open water training in fuerteventura.
I had childhood ITP to which I had my spleen removed, I have been in remission since I was 8, I am now 42.
My platelet count is stable but low, which is normal for me.
Will diving affect my platelet count ?
Is there any info regarding diving and platelets counts ?
Would be grateful of any advice from any heamotologists on here.

Thanks for any info in advance
Glenn

Have you spoken with DAN (Divers Alert Network) https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/?a=medicemail or +1-919-685-2948 ?

Hi JohnN

thankyou for this info I have emailed them, would still like any advice off any heamotologists on here if possible

Best regards

Glenn

Hi,

I had a full blood count last year still all ok and normal for me according to my doctor.
I assume a coagulation panel is to do with the blood clotting? If so I don't have any problems there.

Since my spleen was removed I have been perfectly fine, living a healthy life with no issues no bruising etc, it was as I was reading the training manual and it was explaining about DCS there was a little niggle in the back of my mind, I don't want it to affect me or trigger another episode of ITP, as I have had no problems for so long
I have read the articles but do not understand them fully as I'm just a vehicle mechanic.
thanks for the info though it is very kind

Best Regards

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

I talked with Dr. Moon, one of our attending physicians (and the author of one of the studies linked above), about this today. He didn't think that recreational diving would lower your platelet count significantly. However, if it's already abnormally low, you could be at increased risk of bleeding from trauma, which could cause you problems if you're injured while diving far from medical help. What was your last platelet count?

Best regards,
DDM

Hi
thank you for this I can't tell you how important this dive is to me, I will call my doctor and post the result tomorrow

Thankyou and best regards Glenn

---------- Post added September 29th, 2015 at 06:00 AM ----------

I've just spoken to my doctor and my platelet count at my last blood test was 116,000

Hi
thank you for this I can't tell you how important this dive is to me, I will call my doctor and post the result tomorrow

Thankyou and best regards Glenn

---------- Post added September 29th, 2015 at 06:00 AM ----------

I've just spoken to my doctor and my platelet count at my last blood test was 116,000

Hi Glenn, the consensus here is that that platelet count should not pose a problem in and of itself. You should not interpret this as a clearance to dive; this information is educational only. Your hematologist can advise you about risk for bleeding, and you'll have to weigh that carefully along with any other health issues you may have. It would be prudent for you to be evaluated by a physician trained in diving medicine.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom