Diving with a Spouse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I dive together EVERYTIME we dive. Our youngest is 10 so I understand you wifes concern. But, life is too short to play the "what if" game. The likelyhood that you would both die in a scuba accident are so slim as to not even be a concern IMHO.

I think the likelyhood of two people on the same dive dying in a scuba accident is slim let alone that the two people are husband and wife. Also, too many people play the what-if game only halfway, focusing only on the negative. Let's play the other half. What if both of you have a wonderful time together scuba diving without incident and through the shared experiences come closer together?

I can't guarantee that this is statistically true, but I would bet there is a greater chance that the two of you will be killed driving to the dive site than on the dive itself.

Last edited:
Don't do it.

If you get your wife involved you'll have to double the budget for airfare, equipment, beer, hotel, etc. etc. on the trips to exotic tropical locations. And you won't get to go all those places by yourself.

Then you get to double it again when the kids get involved.

I speak from experience.

Go for it... but (and this is general advice even if you didn't dive) update your will. If you don't have one, go do one.

I see you're in Grand Prairie... if you want to get your kids certified you can do that. I know SSI does Scuba Rangers starting at age 8 (pool only with an instructor) then at age 10 they can become Junior Open Water certified (everything but a couple emergency skills since minors shouldn't be responsible for the safety of others) until like 16 or 18.

My close friend is the instructor who just certified me and he does Scuba Ranger classes frequently (his daughter is nearly 9) if you're interested. We're up in Keller.

I just bought all new gear for myself and my newly certified wife. Wet and dry suits. Was a huge chunk of change. BUT, you don't need to do that. Rent gear for now and make sure it's something you both will continue doing before making the investment.

Also with the what if game - what if something does happen and you need a buddy? Who will make a better more attentive buddy - your spouse or a stranger? A husband and wife that always dives together can make a good team that knows each other gear and dive habits and care enough to be there when needed.

Just remember no diving after a fight.

The idea is a really nice one but keep in mind that everyone needs to proceed at their own pace and comfort level. You may all be very comfortable in the water, or perhaps some more than others... maybe some may acquire the skills and progress faster than others in your family, but everyone should move at a pace that works best for them and not feel pressured. It's ultimately about safety, having fun, and sharing something with those you love who also feel the same excitement and enthusiasm for diving as you do.

BTW I think 10 yrs is too young to take up scuba. 12 or 13 yrs is more reasonable - just my humble opinion.

Don't do it.

If you get your wife involved you'll have to double the budget for airfare, equipment, beer, hotel, etc. etc. on the trips to exotic tropical locations. And you won't get to go all those places by yourself.

I'm originally from Trinidad & Tobago and we'll be flying back for a vacation over Thanksgiving. We plan to be in Tobago for 3 nights so that would be a nice opportunity to do some diving with my wife

---------- Post added July 27th, 2015 at 03:46 PM ----------

My close friend is the instructor who just certified me and he does Scuba Ranger classes frequently (his daughter is nearly 9) if you're interested. We're up in Keller.

I'm south Grand Prairie (on Joe Pool Lake) right next to Mansfield and Cedar Hill. I've been looking at High Tide Scuba in Mansfield to get certified. I haven't registered as yet, but their next class starts towards the end of August.

You mean she is going to let you buddy with someone who is not in love with you, and not interested in whether you are going to be around for the kids' braces, and college tuition? Pretty dangerous.... ;-)

Are you going to try to teach your wife? When I was a ski patroler, when we'd see couples where one spouse was teaching the other, we'd call them DIPs (divorce in progress).

I think there can be some application to scuba. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom