Diving with a Spouse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with my wife all the time... I rather have somebody i trust to dive, I know in a pinch I can count on her and vice versa...

practice and dive alot together and you will be good to go

...just noticed you're from T&T... maybe i'll bounce you up in Tobago!!

I guess I'm trying to understand what the "best practice" is for spouses that dive

That varies with the people & marriages. My wife & I are both certified, but she's a 'dabbler diver,' one who could dive once in awhile, or maybe 6 times on a 1 week trip to Bonaire. I love diving, plan nearly every trip I can around it, aim to rack up a dive count & under 15 times in Bonaire I have failed!

In some marriage partner dives, one person tries to advise/instruct the other, and that doesn't always go over well. This has been mentioned in other threads.

So, if you are similar tastes (e.g.: both like reefs, or wrecks or what-have-you), a similar hunger to dive (e.g.: agendas to get in a set number of dives), then more power to you! But if she only wants to dive warm water high viz. low current 'aquarium' conditions, and you're more willing to rough it to diversity your diving (e.g.: California), you may not be buddies all the time.

So best practices have to be designed around the couple in question.

Richard.

Dleewo--this is my family.
Nuff said??
When you look at the chances of getting hurt diving VS getting hurt on the drive to diving you are more likely to get hurt on the way to the site

Attachments

• PICT0292.jpg
    PICT0292.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 308
My husband recertified with me 10 years ago. We dive together a lot. The biggest issue we have isn't worrying about whether we'll both drown on a dive, but worrying about whether one of us will drown the other . . . We don't always get along perfectly as dive buddies :)

If she is willing to try then be patient and give her time. My husband was very eager to learn to dive. His Grandparents had owned a summer lake house and he was on the swim team in High School but I had never learned to swim. After we were married I took an "Adult Learn to Swim Class". The first lesson was "Introduction to Water" we actually stood in the shallow end and practiced putting our faces in the water! I passed the class (many didn't!) but it took me awhile to feel comfortable. But I was willing to give it a try and he was happy about that and very supportive and showed a lot of patience.

We have now been diving together for more than 30 years. We are just warm water vacation divers but we have had some wonderful trips and outstanding experiences together. I am so happy that he encouraged me and that I stuck with it. We both work hard, long hours but diving has given us the chance to spend time together doing something really special in beautiful locations. Good luck to both of you!

I was recently in Cancun and did one of those intro to scuba classes and I loved it. Now that I'm back home, I'm looking to get certified.

I was asking my wife if she would also get certified so that we can dive together and be each other's buddy. She is open to it, but she did raise a concern about us doing this together while having 2 kids (14 and 10). I know it's a bit morbid but she's concerned about something happening to both of us at the same time.

I know I've seen posts where spouses both dive, but I was wondering....do you all dive as each other's buddy or is it better to buddy dive with someone else even if you are diving at the same time in the same location?

I guess I'm trying to understand what the "best practice" is for spouses that dive

SCUBA diving is not a dangerous activity unless you want it to be so and then it can be. I would think you could possibly make a family activity including the kids as they get a little older.

9ea4_12.jpg

The idea of diving with a different buddy than my wife in case she drowns so I would be around to feed the dogs, well, do you not drive in the same automobile together?

I think you are concerning yourself overly with such thought, or she is. Come on in, the water is fine:

4db6_1.jpg

We have been diving buddies for 35 years:

IMG_0828_edited-1.jpg

You will be fine.

IMG_0032-1_edited-1.jpg

N

Love my husband and we have been dive buddies for 30+ years with 4 kids. He had an ear issued last year and I went out myself - for the first time- and paired up on the boat in Little Cayman. What a different experience! A lovely 23 year year old was looking after me and then another nice guys was taking photos and I spotted for him. I elbowed my husband when he came back and told him he could be a better buddy:)
No advice except to enjoy the journey!

It's incredibly dangerous. The last time a Moray popped out of the coral next to my wife she teleported right through me to the other side. Any slip up and she would have materialized in my space resulting in a nuclear explosion.

This is me taking footage of my wife while we were in Cancun last December diving off the coast of Isla Mujeres.[youtubehq]g61hhvd7oWw[/youtubehq]

You two drive in the same car at the same time, right? That's FAR more likely to result in dual death than diving together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom