Diving with a Spouse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife is my safest buddy :)

I can't say that since many of my friends have much, much more experience than my wife does, but she's certainly my bestest buddy... and favorite model.

If she'd just stop training the wildlife to attack me, she'd be awesome! :shocked2:

Attachments

• Moray Attack © DSC_5277 Resized.jpg
    Moray Attack © DSC_5277 Resized.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 266
Have been diving with my wife for 25+ and 500+ dives. Did all the same courses TOGETHER. My wife is my safest buddy :)

View attachment 213610
View attachment 213609

My wife and I are doing the same thing. I even took the OW again just so I could be her dive buddy. Doing the same in September for her AOW. After that we plan to pursue the DiveMaster program together. Not to become teachers, just to expand our knowledge base together.

Thanks for the responses. It is great to hear about so many spouses diving together.

I don't know if my wife will get certified with me or shortly thereafter, but in the mean time, she's been helping me work on my water threading so I can pass the 10-min test. A week ago I couldn't tread water for more than a few seconds, but she has been going to the pool with me every day and helping me and I'm now up to 3 mins....she's a much better swimmer than me.

Now I have to build some endurance to get the 3 mins up to 10+ mins

My wife and I certified together, dive together and if one of us has to call a dive, the other does as well. We know each others signals, body language, comfort level, ability and willingness to do something we haven't done yet like dive deeper, do a swim though or a cave dive.

All in all, your wife is always going to be best partner once she has dove with you a dozen or two times. My personal preferance is that I wouldn't dive with anyone other than my wife if I had the choice.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

We don't have children yet, but the thought has crossed our minds./QUOTE]

Okay, I read this in a different way than I think you meant it...

I was asking my wife if she would also get certified so that we can dive together and be each other's buddy. She is open to it, but she did raise a concern about us doing this together while having 2 kids (14 and 10). I know it's a bit morbid but she's concerned about something happening to both of us at the same time.
...So I suppose you never ride in the car together, fly together, occupy the same house at the same time, etc. Virtually everything you do in life as a couple has the potential of taking you both out at the same time. Personally, I think you should teach the whole family to dive. The older kid is old enough to start now. The younger kid is technically old enough to start training, but I'd wait till he/she is 12-13, at least.

So many couples reach retirement and the husband putters around the garage and the wife putters around the house and they never really see each other. Then suddenly, one day, they announce their getting a divorce. Learn to dive while you are more or less young and strong and you will build the habits that will allow you to continue diving into an old age.

I would really like for my wife to dive with me. However, she is not a strong swimmer which makes her a bit uncomfortable in the water. I'm hoping at some point she will give it a try. I would like her to experience what I have thus far.

I've been diving since 1985, and my wife has never dove for medical reasons. She'll never dive, but is a good swimmer and two weeks ago she asked me to show her how to snorkle. It took two sessions of about two hours each (using a snorkle, mask vs goggles, clearing a mask, etc.), but by the end of the second hour she was tootling about the lake. She's now looking for fins that fit her better and we can take on vacation. We'll never 'dive' together, but I'm looking forward to the snorkelling time together.

Enjoy whatever you have!

I managed to take my wife snorkelling when we lived in Jeddah but that was as far as it got.

My daughter is planning to do her IE fairly soon and we talked about qualifying "mum" after she has some experience with other students and my daughter quite likes the idea of teaching her mother and telling her what to do after many years of her mother telling her what to do :rofl3:

So in the end I had to wait 12 years before I had another qualified dive buddy in the family, paid off though, we did 40 dives together earlier this month in Indonesia, but the BIG problem now is that after her small point and shoot housing flooded, she wants to move into another league and was borrowing my D300 and housing to shoot macro.

More $$$

You're safer diving with your spouse than you are riding in the car with her.

Safe dives . . . . . .
. . . safer ascents !

the K

Back
Top Bottom