Diving with Arthritis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have OA in my hips and also am only 27. I am fairly new to diving so haven't quite figured what helps or not. My dives have been in water of around 5 degrees centigrade and have been diving dry. Sometimes after a dive I am very stiff and sore so end up in bed with the electric blanket. Will be keeping an eye on here for suggestions and if I discover anything I will post. Heated under suits look like they could be a good thing :)

I have OA in my hips and also am only 27. I am fairly new to diving so haven't quite figured what helps or not. My dives have been in water of around 5 degrees centigrade and have been diving dry. Sometimes after a dive I am very stiff and sore so end up in bed with the electric blanket. Will be keeping an eye on here for suggestions and if I discover anything I will post. Heated under suits look like they could be a good thing :)

You should look into dry suit heaters. I've heard it's like taking your electric blanket with you.

Dry-suit for maximum warmth. Split fins IMHO will move you in the water while reducing the strain on the joints. Backing up is challenging (I have not figured out how to do that in split fins), but you can do everything else including helicopter turns (pivot 360 degrees over one spot using only your fins to make the turn).

Donning and removing gear in the water and having some younger person take it out and bring it back works well too.

I use my hands to back up. But yes you can't really do that with split fins. Or I just go up and then forward I don't enter caves or go in things so backing up isn't a problem.

I find filling the bcd with air taking all the gear off in the water then passing it to someone is the best way to get back on a boat. Don't be afraid to ask for some help most people will help. Just pass up the gear take the fins off then climb up. On the shore it depends but dropping the weights help allot then taking the tank off can help as well I just float right to the edge of the water then roll out of my gear then pick it up and lug it that way.

If your stiff you might want to try physio or massage. Yoga helps allot it's lots of stretching and breathing (helps with air underwater too) I have imflimation in my neck and spine it keeps me out of the water as simply getting into the water is a problem. (I might not get back out or back up if I try it) So until the doctors say ok go ahead or I feel like ok I can at least carry the gear on my back (wearing a leatherjacket causes problems over time due to the weight) I do a little and I pay for it. For hips do stretchs help allot you put 1 leg over the other like making a 4 then lean into it you can do it while sitting you really feel it in the hip that helps allot for lower back pain. Upper neck you put a ball on the back of the had then push back that's upper neck. Upper back you roll a towel up then put it down your spine then put your hands together (bent elbows) That helps the arms.

Pick a part on the body and I will tell you how to treat it with physio I got really messed up in a car accident and everything hurts or bugs me. Lots of things help but sometimes strong drugs are the only way to go. (I go to physio 2 times a week for over a year it helps the pain allot) Hurts the wallet good...

Hello fellow divers. I'm certified to use nitrox but haven't tried it yet as I'm nervous about combining it with the medications I'm on for Rheumatoid Arthritis. The PADI warnings regarding increased risk of oxygen toxicity with some medications are alarming though I know only some drugs increase the risk. I don't think my doctor is knowledgeable enough about diving to ask if my prescriptions are problematic with nitrox. The one I'm most concerned about is methotrexate as it is a chemo drug and other chemo meds came up in google searches I did on the topic. I also take hydroxycloroquin (plaquenil) and may start Humira soon. I realize every diver is different but do any of you have experience or expertise in enriched air diving with immunosuppressive drugs? I dive frequently with regular air without incident. Thanks for any input you can give!

Hi BetsyBelow,
I have PsA and have been on Methotrexate and a number of the biologics over the years(humira, enbrel, and now stelara) and have been diving on nitrox on many occasions while on the meds. I have not had any problems. As an aside, I'm off the metho now...get off of it if you can, it's nasty stuff.

LisiaK

AS runs in my family, I had the genetic marker done and thankfully I don't have it. I am very aware of the condition and my only thought is to make sure you stay warm and don't over do it to reduce the risk of flare ups. Most medications that I know AS sufferers are given make you drowsy. They may not make you feel that bad at the surface but can affect you underwater call DAN.

On land I am weak especially in my legs and tanks are hard on my back. When I first started diving I only donned and doffed in the water. A poster mentioned confiding in someone and I have to tell you this should be a must. Be sure to inform your instructor, Divemaster and dive buddy of your limitations. Don't let pride get in the way of safety. I usually tell them I shouldn't have a problem but if I do this is what I need help with or watch out for. Diving has improved my strength and I can wear a tank on my back for limited amounts of time, giant leap and getting out of the water on a boat. Only once I was tired from the current I had to pass my BC to the Divemaster to get back up and they had no problem, I made sure to tip them more. find ou what works best for you and good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom