Diving with Asthma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never a bad bet to contact DAN (Diver's Alert Network) with any specific inquiries, if you're just not sure. Many non-diving physicians will just "sign off" a potential student, without a thorough understanding of the repercussions. DAN's medical services number: (919) 684-2948 (Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm EST).

DAN Scuba Diving Medical Services

I have asthma but nobody knows it - that's how controlled it is. I've been diving for 21 years and never had a problem. I would be concerned if I had to use an "emergency" inhaler and then dived. The one time I did, I sat out the next two dives. It's just not worth it.

My asthma is allergy induced and exercise induced. Diving is so relaxed for me, even with doubles and a stage tank. I love the underwater world and feel a zen existance while there. So the exercise induced has never come into being. It only its after about 5 minutes when I work out and I've never been in an "exercise" state for more than one minute. Even when the exercise induced asthma starte, I'm able to work through it and continue my workout at the gym so I'm not worried.

The big question: Is your asthma controlled. If it is, dive. If it isn't, i.e. you feel the "tightness" don't dive.

Yeah my asthma is excercise and allergy induced. However when I am underwater I dont get a hint of asthma. Things that require heavy breathing (ie running, fast swimming, etc) cause asthma attacks for me. Sure scuba is a strenous activity but its more a whole body drain than a quick hit fatigue that causes my asthma. So far no problems and I try to work out at lest once a week which involves running, hopefully I can strengthen my lungs more for the summer for even better diving.

I am reading this thread with great interest. I've been diving for 5 years. Never had a problem. But recently had a case of bronchitis that had an asthma exacerbation. We're not sure why. It started at the end of my cruise last year after diving 4 different times.
I was in the hospital for 4 days and on many different meds. Is it a one time occurrence, not yet sure. I never had it before but my mom had so I was predisposed. It took me awhile to get in some shape again to try diving. I did in May and was good. Do I think I'm free of asthma, honeslty, probably not. Why? Because I also have horrid allergies. Smoke, perfume, fragrances, smells. But right now I'm only on oral allergy meds. No inhalers. And haven't used a rescue inhaler since June. So I hope I'll be in the group that is controlled and still able to dive. :D

Hi Scubaru Steve,

Here's a updated version of a piece that appeared in my "Dive Workshop" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving" magazine:

"Can I Dive With Asthma?”

Asthma is a chronic but often largely controllable obstructive pulmonary disease that affects about eight to 10 percent of children and five to eight percent of adults in the U.S. Signs and symptoms include shortness of breath, wheezing, tightness in the chest and lasting cough. The potential adverse impact of a severe attack under water is obvious, and could be fatal. Arterial gas embolism (AGE) as a result of air trapping from the constriction and plugging characteristic of this disease has also been a frequent, but as yet inconclusive, concern. Research to date (e.g., see 1 below) suggests that there is some indication that asthmatics may be at increased risk of pulmonary barotrauma, but much yet needs to be explored.

Asthma Triggers

Asthma is a chronic irritation & hypersensitivity of the respiratory tract, and attacks can be triggered as a reaction to a variety of conditions including stress, cold or exercise, and allergens such certain medications, pollens and foods. The asthmatic’s body reacts to these triggers, in varying order and severity, by constriction of smooth muscle in the bronchi and bronchioles, inflammation of the airway and increased mucous production. Attacks tend to be recurrent rather than continuous, and there is often much that can be done medically to reverse breathing difficulties when they do occur. In addition, since many of the precipitants of an attack are known, they can be avoided or controlled.

Diving with Asthma

Until the mid-1990s, asthma was largely considered an absolute contraindication to diving. However, thinking in the medical and professional dive community has rather radically altered since then, and those with asthma can now be certified under certain circumstances. Although they differ somewhat, the BASC (British Subaqua Club) and UHMS (Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Society) each offer protocols guiding medical clearance to dive with asthma.

Such criteria typically include a requirement that all asthmatics have normal resting and exercise pulmonary function tests with no degradation after exercise. The criteria allow those taking routine preventative medications to be evaluated while continuing their treatment. Also required is the ability to exercise and tolerate stress without becoming symptomatic while on maintenance medications, and the absence of a need for “rescue” inhalers during times of stress or exertion.

If you suffer from asthma, it’s clearly unwise to deny or minimize this condition to yourself, or hide it from your instructor or the operators with whom you dive. Scuba can involve some of the asthma triggers discussed above, such as cold and exercise, not mention hyperdry scuba cylinder gas. If you have asthma and want to dive, or are already diving without medical clearance, it is critical that you consult a physician to obtain an appropriate pulmonary workup and permission to dive.

Finally, the issue of being a reliable dive partner must be considered. A diver with ashtma should always inform his buddy of his medical status "

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

(1) Sports Med. 2003;33(2):109-16.
Asthma and recreational SCUBA diving: a systematic review.
Koehle M, Lloyd-Smith R, McKenzie D, Taunton J.

Allan McGavin Sports Medicine Centre, Department of Family Practice and the School of Human Kinetics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. mskoehle@interchange.ubc.ca

Asthma has traditionally been a contraindication to recreational self-contained underwater breathing apparatus (SCUBA) diving, although large numbers of patients with asthma partake in diving. The purpose of this paper is to review all the research relevant to the issue of the safety of asthma in divers. MEDLINE and MDConsult were searched for papers between 1980-2002. Keywords used for the search were 'asthma', 'SCUBA' and 'diving'. Additional references were reviewed from the bibliographies of received articles.A total of fifteen studies were identified as relevant to the area. These included three surveys of divers with asthma, four case series and eight mechanistic investigations of the effect of diving on pulmonary function. The survey data showed a high prevalence of asthma among recreational SCUBA divers, similar to the prevalence of asthma among the general population. There was some weak evidence for an increase in rates of decompression illness among divers with asthma. In healthy participants, wet hyperbaric chamber and open-water diving led to a decrease in forced vital capacity, forced expired volume over 1.0 second and mid-expiratory flow rates. In participants with asymptomatic respiratory atopy, diving caused a decrease in airway conductivity.There is some indication that asthmatics may be at increased risk of pulmonary barotrauma, but more research is necessary. Decisions regarding diving participation among asthmatics must be made on an individual basis involving the patient through informed, shared decision making."

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

I have asthma, but have yet to see any problems with it. I have problems with ONLY my left ear more than anything.

i have a question. my asthma is seasonal and controlled. i only get an attack once a year towards december as that's when the temperature gets cold (i live in a tropical country). there are 2 ways to control this -- one is to use a nebulizer / inhaler with salbutamol (sp?) and other asthma medicines which help expand your lungs. the other method would be to use more a saline solution on the nebulizer.

i know for a fact that there are risks involved when diving when you just took a puff from an inhaler, but does the same apply to saline solutions on nebulizers? i assume that this alternative makes for a better solution so you get to dive.

on another note, i do feel more relaxed while underwater. it's the combination of the steady supply of air and the floating, relaxing feeling. :)

Hi, I have exercise induced asthma and have been using the rescue inhaler just prior to diving... this thread mentions not to do that... why? did read a lot about this before I was certified and I will go to DAN to research this some more.

my instructor advised that you should not dive 6-12 hours after using an inhaler (i.e. ventolin, salbutamol, etc) because it may cause problems in lung overexpansion. i didn't know this prior and have dove after using it, to no consequence.

anyone care to shed light on this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom