diving with broken rib

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @Scubadude

I second the suggestion by @Neilwood to discuss with DAN, perhaps also be evaluated by a dive physician. Divers with spontaneous pneumothorax are generally advised not to dive, divers with trauma related pneumothorax may be able to resume diving. DAN | Medical Frequently Asked Questions

Good luck in your recovery, Craig

Edit: sorry, I was typing while you made your last post, you're doing the right thing. Best of luck

Mine was not spontaneous pneumothorax, mine was trauma related.

Thank you Craig. Appreciate all the feedback

Mine was not spontaneous pneumothorax, mine was trauma related.

Thank you Craig. Appreciate all the feedback
Yes, from your post, I knew yours was trauma related and that you may be able to dive again, I hope so

I am praying that I will return to the ocean. I am confident that I will. I already had to give up my Harley so this is it. Staying positive and faithful. I just may have to be more careful and conscious of my moves and actions while in and out of the water. Especially on a boat !

Hi @Scubadude

I second the suggestion by @Neilwood to discuss with DAN, perhaps also be evaluated by a dive physician. Divers with spontaneous pneumothorax are generally advised not to dive, divers with trauma related pneumothorax may be able to resume diving. DAN | Medical Frequently Asked Questions

Good luck in your recovery, Craig

Edit: sorry, I was typing while you made your last post, you're doing the right thing. Best of luck
Thank you so much! I'll keep everyone posted on my progress & when I'm back in the water. Thank you everyone for your feedback.

I just broke my #9 rib. I'm taking 8 teenagers to do their certification dives in Key Largo in a week and a half. My doctor was adamant about not diving. DAN was not as emphatic, but went down a long list of reasons to be concerned, specifically one of the three major rules, breathing normally all the time. Since I can not take a full breath sitting here typing this, I will not be diving. Am I thoroughly disappointed? Absolutely. Is it worth rolling the dice? Absolutely not.

Diving with an injury such as that is contrary to PADI OW manual advice. I have had several bone breaks including ribs and never really had a problem afterwards. I have also had friends or neighbours who have had straight forward breaks that in two cases have gone seriously wrong some time after the break. Both had simple leg breaks, plastered and discharged same day. One died 4 days later of blood clot moving to heart. The other had a blood clot move to lungs and it brought on life threatening pneumonia. Why risk anything that may aggravate you condition?

Back
Top Bottom