Diving with Bulging Disk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Baker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I do not know if anyone else has experienced this but thought I would share my experience. I recently dove on a wall and we went down to 33 meters. I thought the dive was a great one. In fact we found something interesting on this dive. However, the next day and even throughout the following week I noticed that I had become weaker. I was wondering if this could be related to this disk bulges in my neck and lower back? Is the added pressure at depth putting me in danger? I in fact still feel a little weird in the neck area. Would be interested in knowing anyone's opinion and experience on this matter..

Thanks,

Ed Baker

Depth alone should be of little consequence to those tissues. They should not respond adversely to the pressure anymore than your fingers, knees and elbows. In fact the relative weightlessness may take some of the strain off.....maybe.

BUT.....if you have KNOWN herniated disks and you are diving with them that means you are carrying around significant weight on both your shoulders and lower back. That extra weight places far more stress on the tissues. In addition the positions of carrying this weight getting geared up, plus in and out of the water can put addtional awkward stresses on the back and neck.

Your profile says you are retired with less than 50 dives and that's over 4 years. Frankly not a lot experience, especially for 'a old retired fart' (as you describe yourself :)). To top it off you went to 33 meters (108 feet). You don't say any more about your dive profile but that could be considered an aggressive dive, especially if you were not on Nitrox, had a long bottom time, or was one of a number of dives that day.That leads to another question.

Are you SURE your weakness is not a potential symptom of DCS? Sorry to bring up more issues than answers, but something like weakness after a dive is of serious concern and should more appropriately be addressed by a dive physician than on a dive forum. The sooner the better.

Depth alone should be of little consequence to those tissues. They should not respond adversely to the pressure anymore than your fingers, knees and elbows. In fact the relative weightlessness may take some of the strain off.....maybe.

BUT.....if you have KNOWN herniated disks and you are diving with them that means you are carrying around significant weight on both your shoulders and lower back. That extra weight places far more stress on the tissues. In addition the positions of carrying this weight getting geared up, plus in and out of the water can put addtional awkward stresses on the back and neck.

Your profile says you are retired with less than 50 dives and that's over 4 years. Frankly not a lot experience, especially for 'a old retired fart' (as you describe yourself :)). To top it off you went to 33 meters (108 feet). You don't say any more about your dive profile but that could be considered an aggressive dive, especially if you were not on Nitrox, had a long bottom time, or was one of a number of dives that day.That leads to another question.

Are you SURE your weakness is not a potential symptom of DCS? Sorry to bring up more issues than answers, but something like weakness after a dive is of serious concern and should more appropriately be addressed by a dive physician than on a dive forum. The sooner the better.

While I am not a doctor, I do suffer from 2 herniated discs which are genetic in my family. I agree that weight can contribute, exacerbate or cause herniated (aka bulging) discs, but this can also occur with skinny people as well. (Of which I am not, but do know quite a few. :)

However, I completely agree with everything else you wrote above. This is 100% something that the OP should immediately see a doctor for or call the Divers Alert Network. Even if he's not a member, they will assist with getting help.

I agree with what the others have said. I have a herniated disc in my lower back which has never been aggravated by scuba diving. Hauling tanks two at a time, maybe. Wearing doubles, possibly. But not from the actual diving itself.

Keep in mind that the US Navy Dive Tables were designed for generally younger, very physically fit people and the older we get the more conservatively we should be using them.

Thanks guys for the feed back it is actually good to know that it was not the depth that caused the issue. Since I have these problems I gear up in the water and take gear off before exiting the water. I never have to carry the load, don't even think I could at this point. The dive itself was only at 33 meters for like 4 to 5 min before we headed back up. Im guessing this is something I need to keep an eye on and see if I can figure it out.

You don't describe the "weakness." Generalized, one-half of body, one limb??
In any case, spinal issues are complex and vary from person to person. Moreover, the term "bulging disc" is a very general term, often misused, that doesn't really mean much in popular usage.

Bottom line: See an appropriate doctor to find out what's going on. "Weakness" can be serious.

I have two herniated discs in my lower back as well as cervical stenosis and diving is the only time I am totally pain free ( which does not include the getting in and out of the water, of course). Being weightless actually mitigates my pain for a few hours after the dive. And I routinely go to 33 meters. So maybe you have something else going on.

Thanks guys for the feed back it is actually good to know that it was not the depth that caused the issue. Since I have these problems I gear up in the water and take gear off before exiting the water. I never have to carry the load, don't even think I could at this point. The dive itself was only at 33 meters for like 4 to 5 min before we headed back up. Im guessing this is something I need to keep an eye on and see if I can figure it out.

Did you go to a doctor or call the Divers Alert Network as all of us have urged you to do?

Yes, let me emphasize that: WEAKNESS can be an indication of PERMANENT nerve damage. Once the nerve is damaged sufficiently it will not come back. Does not matter if it's a bulging disk or DCS cause, you are in a world of hurt if it does.

Back
Top Bottom