Diving with dentures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BearguyVA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay, I realize that having dentures isn't a "disability" in the normal sense of the word. And I've GOT real disability / mobility issues to deal with as well. Compared to my back, legs, and overall balance issues, dentures are minor. But I thought this might be a good spot to ask.

I'm at the beginning of my ReActivate courses, and had my first pool session a week ago. I hate wearing my freakin' dentures so I did NOT have them in. But... it seems that no teeth = nothing to really "bite" on the reg mouthpiece = the reg kept just falling out of my mouth. Not good. I had to hold the reg in with one hand, which really limited what I was able to do.

I'd really prefer diving without the dentures in... but I guess I can put 'em in if I have to. Any suggestions? Thanks

I had to hold the reg in with one hand
That sounds downright dangerous. You need a mouthpiece that stays in regardless of distractions or challenges. When I first got mine, DAN's advice was to dive without them, but I just rejected that. I have to wonder how much they researched that advice.

I hate wearing my freakin' dentures so I did NOT have them in.
WHY? Do they not fit? I soak mine overnight, put them in with plenty of denture adhesive, and I'm fine. I check two bags of gear plus a roll-on & backpack on trips and I pack a tube in each checked bag plus one in my 3-1-1 ziplock to make sure I have plenty - one for the bathroom, one for the dive bag* if needed, and a spare. They're not something you can pickup at a convenience store or many groceries so I don't want to have to go shopping.

There were a couple of times on trips that I got sloppy, leaving them in overnight and diving in them again the next day, then having to remove a loose plate while on a dive without dropping it or losing it later! I had to use the bag tubes then, but that's a challenge to avoid to I apply a generous amount each morning.

Okay, I realize that having dentures isn't a "disability" in the normal sense of the word. And I've GOT real disability / mobility issues to deal with as well. Compared to my back, legs, and overall balance issues, dentures are minor. But I thought this might be a good spot to ask.

I'm at the beginning of my ReActivate courses, and had my first pool session a week ago. I hate wearing my freakin' dentures so I did NOT have them in. But... it seems that no teeth = nothing to really "bite" on the reg mouthpiece = the reg kept just falling out of my mouth. Not good. I had to hold the reg in with one hand, which really limited what I was able to do.

I'd really prefer diving without the dentures in... but I guess I can put 'em in if I have to. Any suggestions? Thanks

I just dive with mine in.
Gets a bit uncomfortable on the RB or longer dives but manageable.
Maybe give those moldable silicon mouthpieces a try, they might mold to your gums.
Think they are called comfo bite or something like that

I do not have dentures, but perhaps this comment may help.

In my OW scuba instruction days, I would hand the students regulator sets that were only used for scuba instruction. Many, many times at some point in the class, I would have to replace a mouthpiece because someone had bitten through it. In contrast, I am closing in on a quarter century of diving and have never bitten through a regulator of my own. My teeth barely make contact with the mouthpiece.

Now, I obviously do not know what it is like to use a mouthpiece with no teeth whatsoever, but I do know there is a significant difference between the amount of bite pressure some people use, and it really should not take a lot.

I just dive with mine in.
Gets a bit uncomfortable on the RB or longer dives but manageable.
Maybe give those moldable silicon mouthpieces a try, they might mold to your gums.
Think they are called comfo bite or something like that

Actually the AquaLung Comfobite mouthpieces are something different. They have a piece that bridges the two sides and you use a lot less pressure to keep the reg in your mouth. I only use these.

The moldable silicone ones are totally different. Sounds like the moldable one might be better for the OP.

My home dive bud got one of those for his reg and his air consumption improved significantly.

SeaCure Custom Mouthpiece

Sea Cure is the brand name for the moldable mouthpieces in question. There's probably knock-offs out there too.

seacure.com:
Can your mouthpiece be used with dentures?
Answered by our Founder, an Orthodontist:

“The question of dentures and SeaCure is a good one. The reason divers have traditionally removed their dentures is because they are easily dislodged by biting anything in the front of the mouth such as a standard dive mouthpiece. Moreover, any non-moldable mouthpiece requires constant pressure to establish a grip. The combination of constant pressure and front loading often causes sore spots under the denture or the partial denture. The beauty of the SeaCure mouthpiece is that it extends all the way to the back of the denture so that, when it’s molded, the force becomes distributed along the entire surface of the denture. This eliminates adverse loading and the tendency to dislodge the denture. Based on years of experience we recommend that the diver mold the mouthpiece with the denture/partial in place.”

Can I use SeaCure if I have no teeth?
SeaCure works best with upper and lower dentures. However, we have had divers with no teeth on the upper or lower jaws use a SeaCure successfully. Everyone is different, so the only way to know for sure is to try it out.

Actually the AquaLung Comfobite mouthpieces are something different. They have a piece that bridges the two sides and you use a lot less pressure to keep the reg in your mouth. I only use these.

The moldable silicone ones are totally different. Sounds like the moldable one might be better for the OP.
+1 on these.
I only use comfobites (although Apeks) and I don't have to bite down on the mouthpiece with my teeth to keep it safe in my mouth at all.
If you really want to you can keep it really safely lodged in your mouth by pressing your tongue against the "bridge" piece of the mouthpiece, might feel awkward for a minute or two but after that you won't even think about it.

Thanx all for the replies. The dive shop gave me a moldable piece (Mares Jax, IIRC) but I haven't "molded" it yet. We tried something with a bridge piece (dunno what brand) at the pool but the weight of the reg was enough that it just slid right out. So... gotta get used to wearing the dentures again. I did that today... and dentures + mouthpiece was a LOT better hold than without.

For those who asked, I never wear the dang things... I live alone and can speak just fine without them... they don't HURT, but I'm not used to the pressure on my gums. So... in the 2 1/2 years since I got them, I never wear them. But getting used to them is NOT a one-day process, I know! Good thing I've got two weeks before my next pool session... and don't get me started on trying to eat with them. Then again the tube of Fixodent I was using was nearly three years old.

Having to hold the reg in was only a temporary fix, and the instructor let it slide as this was my first session in the pool after nearly 30 years. Stayed in the shallow end for obvious reasons. I *did* manage to do the reg clearing skill with no problem though! LOL Mask clearing is gonna wait until I have both hands free.

So... in the 2 1/2 years since I got them, I never wear them.
What have you been eating for the last couple of years? I find them necessary for chewing and biting. I think maybe you need a better fitting pair. There are places that sell cheap dentures not specially made for the customer, and they seldom fit well. I got my last pair in Cancun, specially made with an extra fitting required before they finished.

dentures + mouthpiece was a LOT better hold than without.
:thumbsup:

I went on a camping trip to Big Bend NP once after forgetting to pack a tube in my shaving kit. I was about ready to break camp and head home the second day as I was sure I couldn't find any for a hundred miles, but then I remembered the small tube I keep in my car console for emergencies. It was plenty for a five-day stay.

Walmart has a house brand that seems to be the same as Fixadent for less. I keep several tubes on hand in case of a shortage. I used a generous amount for comfort.

Back
Top Bottom