Diving with Dive Quarters 10/25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emcbride81

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anybody else on that boat? What are temps like in Va Beach right now? I was thinking 3mil with hood...I tolerate cold very well, but I am not opposed to 7 mil if temps are below 70.

We are going to be diving the Morgan. I will post pics and details when I get back!

I think it is safe to say it will be below 70 degrees.

I would go with at least a 5mm and probably a 7mm!

This is supposed to be fun, being cold SUCKS! :errrr:

It will definitely be below 70, probably be below 60. So I would heavily recommend a 7mm.
Last time I was on the Morgan was August 09,2008 & I had 57 on the bottom.
I was leaning on going to the Cuyahoga with Lynnhaven that day, but for some strange reason they have the price listed pretty high.
I am going into DQ today & if they have room I might sign up for the Morgan if Lynnhaven keeps the price where it is at for the Cuyahoga.

That would be cool if you could make the same boat! I haven't gotten to dive with too many Bottom Feeders!

I initially was going with Lynnhaven, but it was around $180 for the dive! I assume that is the price you got. That is when I called DQ and booked with them.

What can you tell me about the Morgan? Currents, vis etc.

The Morgan is 1 of the signature dives in the area.
Typical vis is in the 20ft range. But I have had over 60 ft there before. Of course that was at the beginning of the season (April 1st actually) & the water temp was 42. It seems the warmer the water gets around here the lower the vis.
Currents are normally not that bad, plenty to see, a couple of tanks, lots of truck (WW2 era) tires & lots of ammo, mostly large shells, but have seen divers come up with smaller (I would guess 50mm) shells. All these are live still, so it is important to remove the head & drain the powder before returning to boat.
On another note I just talked to Mike at Lynnhaven & it seems that somehow the wrong price was listed, Duhh. The trip is $120 which is more in line. What makes this even funnier is that they already have 7 people signed up at $180. Man I need to sell them some beautiful swampland in Florida.LOL
While I was at DQ though you seem to be the only 1 signed up for the Morgan, 2 more were on the fence, but I wouldn't bet money on them, if they haven't paid up yet. You will need 4 to make the trip go. While I love to dive off of Big Time & Capt. Steve is a funny guy, I have been to the Morgan at least 4 times this year, so I think I will try the Cuyahoga, which is 1 of my favorite wrecks in the area. Mostly in tact & offers some penetration opportunities.
If your trip doesn't go, I don't think you will be too disappointed if you jump ships. pun intended.
Things will have to get a bit better than this for any trip to go.
SAT
NE WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 5 TO 6 FT. A CHANCE OF RAIN IN THE
MORNING...THEN A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

Crap...I guess I will call DQ and see if they will let me cancel to get out with another boat. It seems that they are running a trip to Rawlings that day, that may be where some of there regulars are going....maybe I will head over there myself!

But if the seas are that bad, I should pack my XBOX360 and a case of Blue Moon just in case it is a long day in the hotel room...

Let me know if the weather report changes. Do they cancel the morning of, or will they cancel the night before?

They are both pretty good about calling the dive the night before. Which I am a huge fan of, normally when I am traveling a distance to dive, but weather around here changes pretty quick & I don't mind waiting until the morning of the dive.
I remember not to long ago they called the dive for Saturday on Thursday night & the seas turned & Saturday was as flat as I have ever seen it around here.
My dive buddy Andy (Drewski on this board) was a bit piffed.
I do have some friends going to Rawlings on Sunday to do some practicing on skills, but I doubt I will go.
If you are in town not doing anything give me a call & we can get together, I don't drink, but I can have a Pepsi.
PM sent.

Well, it was officially canceled today. I will probably want to stop by and visit either one or both shops. If I head out I will give you a ring! Thanks for all the help RAD!

I've been sick as a dog the past 2 days so I was holding out on any dive planning, but after seeing this:
COASTAL WATERS FROM CAPE CHARLES LIGHT VA TO NC VA BORDER OUT 20 NM-
COASTAL WATERS FROM NC VA BORDER TO CURRITUCK BEACH LIGHT NC OUT 20 NM-
703 PM EDT THU OCT 23 2008

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING

SAT
SE WINDS 25 TO 30 KT WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 35 KT. SEAS 7 TO 9 FT.
SHOWERS LIKELY WITH A CHANCE OF TSTMS.

I figure a moot point.
No problem Eric, call if you want to hit the shops.

Good meeting you today RAD. I am going to be back as soon as I possibly can to dive. I talked to my wife about it at lunch, and she would love to make a monthly beach trip if we could! We are going to look around and see what kind of places we can rent a room for a night or two on the cheap. We don't need to be ocean front by any means, she would just need to be able to walk/ride a bike to the beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom