Diving with Gas Perms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pubcrawler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi. I have an eye condition that requires that I wear gas permeable, semi-rigid contacts for correction. I'm pretty blind without them. I've been diving for twenty-five years with the gas perms from the North Pacific to the Carribean and the only issue I've noticed has been a persistent problem with the things drying out - silly as that sounds. I've been using Boston lenses and fluids. Anybody else in the same boat and been having good luck with a different lense/conditioner combination?

I've got steep Keratoconus OU with severe astigmatism and myopia, with a cornea transplant OD about twenty years ago. Becoming intolerant of piggybacks now (i.g. combined soft lenses and gas perms on top of them), with frequent chronic corneal abrasions and lenses popping-out at inopportune times (like during a dive:amazed:).

Currently looking into possible IOL surgery as last resort:
Visian ICL Implant and Verisyse-Artisan Lens IOLs

Kevrumbo - I hear you on that one, keratoconus is my deal too. Lots of fun. I've only had a contact pop once while diving. My problem is that in humid climates they stick to the inside of my eyelids, in dry heat they pop out and they pop out any place in any weather if I blink while looking to the side without also turning my head (Likely a good justification to decline HGN if a police officer ever asks). I carry a second set of contacts in a BC pocket in case I have to jettison of floater out a flooded mask while diving. Motorcycling has been a bigger issue. Dust, pollen, humidity. I carry seven sets of glasses/goggles combinations of various tints and airtightness to use depending on light, particulates and humidity. I finally got that down to enough of a science that I was able to ride up to Anchorage a couple years ago without a single contact event.

I was riding through Montana on a dirt road last fall in a cloud of dust and my contatcs totally caked up. I stopped in a very small town for gas and a cold beer. The place was really dinky even under south central Montana standards - the gas pumps, post office, laundra-mat, video store and bar were all in the same room and were all tended by the bartender and a cashier. I asked for a small plastic glass of water and was rinsing the dust off my contacts at the table when the bartender came over and asked if I had keratoconus. Turned out that she has keratoconus too and also frequently rinses her contacts during stops while riding too. Anyway, I'm going to forward your link on to her. She was anxious for any information on medical options. The Coast Guard issued me a masters ticket even with the full disclosure of the medical history for keratoconus, so I guess they figure that correctable is correctable and that is good enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom