Diving with impacted wisdom tooth/after overcoming an infection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firefly94

New
Reaction score
Hi

I was hoping I could get some advice regarding diving and wisdom teeth. I have an impacted wisdom that I had quite a lot of infections in a year or so ago, however it calmed down by itself and I chose not to have it removed (probably the wrong decision in hindsight!). I have now booked a dive trip (my first ever diving experience!) to Mozambique and am due to fly next week. I went to my dentist and had a full check up/x-ray and she found no issues, however shortly after this I developed an infection in the gum surrounding my wisdom tooth - I can also feel it in the muscles around the area. After going straight back to the dentist, she has put me on a course of strong antibiotics to clear up the infection - the last day of the antibiotics is also the same day that I fly on.

My dentist was aware that I was diving, however I guess she has no experience with diving as she did not mention and risks and as I only realised the risks when I googled it and scared myself! Although I cannot cancel my trip, I obviously want to put my health first and have no intention of diving with an infection. I plan make sure it is fully cleared up before diving and my dentist has also given me spare antibiotics so that if I get another infection I can stop diving and take the antibiotics until it has cleared up. I also plan to take plenty of mouth wash and antiseptic gel to keep the area clean.

The questions I have are as follows:
- Is diving with an impacted wisdom tooth dangerous in itself (even without an infection)? Whilst I have not had an infection that required antibiotics for a year or so before now, the gum around that area is often a bit inflamed.
- Is managing the infection with antibiotics an ok plan to get me through the four week diving course providing I am sensible with it? Although I am really excited about the holiday and learning to dive, I really don't want to risk my health, especially in such a remote area.
- I finish the course of antibiotics two days before I dive (although it may actually be longer because I am doing my open water padi so I'm not sure whether we will actually dive on the first day). Providing I have no pain and the infection seems to be cleared up, is this an ok time frame to start diving after the antibiotics?

Thank you very much - I would really appreciate any advice you can offer. I have been looking forward to this trip for this for so long and I really don't want it to be ruined because I was too silly to google the effect of an impacted wisdom tooth earlier.

Hi Firefly94,

An impacted wisdom tooth in and of itself shouldn't present a problem. The potential issues arise when there's air trapped somewhere in the area; in that case, the rapid, significant change in ambient pressure that happens in diving can lead to barotrauma. If there isn't any air trapped, the existence of an impacted tooth itself will probably not present a risk. I'd recommend checking with your dentist to rule out air trapping, and also if your symptoms don't go away before you travel.

Also of concern is the risk of the infection reoccurring, possibly with a different pathogen. It sounds like you're doing what you can to mitigate that risk, and the choice to stop diving if the infection comes back is a good one. I do hope you're planning to have it explored further when you return; recurrent deep oral infections are worrisome for osteomyelitis.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom