Diving with keratoconus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am getting fitted to wear "Ampleye" RGP Scleral lenses from Art Optical. I called DAN and asked about diving with them and DAN said there is no reason I can't dive with any RGP Scleral lens. They are so large there is virtually no chance of them coming out with a flooded mask.

I'll be diving with them in a month (mid-August 2016), so feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I am excited at the prospect of being able to dive and actually see well!

If and when you lose a lens in your mask, just relax and go with it. I think with keratoconus you can still get your gauges close enough to see them! I wear a mask with a purge valve in part because I have been able to clear it without losing my lost lenses to the ocean. If I lose my left lens I can't see my gauges without getting them really far away or really close and if I lose my right one everything in the distance goes really blurry. But not any worse than no mask at all. Uncorrected I'm about 20/400 in my good eye.

Good tip on the purge valve mask. It would suck to lose an expensive lens!

I am fortunate in that I haven't got keratoconus. My problem is too many refractive surgeries from when I was young and stupid. Seemed like such a good idea back then... The result is scarred corneas and seeing everything blurry, with several blurry ghost images on top of the 'real'image. The sclerals remove the ghost images and focus the main Mage. They are a pain right now while I learn how to get them in and out, but is is exciting to finally see well.

Good tip on the purge valve mask. It would suck to lose an expensive lens!

I am fortunate in that I haven't got keratoconus. My problem is too many refractive surgeries from when I was young and stupid. Seemed like such a good idea back then... The result is scarred corneas and seeing everything blurry, with several blurry ghost images on top of the 'real'image. The sclerals remove the ghost images and focus the main Mage. They are a pain right now while I learn how to get them in and out, but is is exciting to finally see well.

I had corneal transplants 30 years ago and know what you are talking about. I wear RGP lenses to help that.

Back
Top Bottom