Diving with kids?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,
We have a 10 year old that just recently got certified. Before he starts to "loose" the information I really wanted to get him some more exposure to diving. He was certified in the local quarry so I would really like to expose him to some better vis. Obviously we need to stay within the 40' rule for his age. Does anyone have any suggestions within 10 hours or so from Charlotte, NC?

I would really prefer to do some ocean diving so he can see some coral etc. but getting down to West Palm Beach or Jupiter is just a little too far. I have been recommended to give Devils Den a look but since I have not been before am a little concerned with the overhead environment. Epcot has been suggested but taking everyone to Disney can get a little costly...

Thanks in advance for the help!

A very good site is the City of Richmond. It is a 1.5 hour boat ride but it can have spectular conditions. Express water sports out of Murrells inlet tuns out to the site. It has lots of tropicals, big jacks, and a few sand tigers. The vis is better than average on the site. It was my kids favorite spot.

Well, according to google maps you can make the Gulf Coast in 10 hours. You could hit Vortex Springs which is just North of Panama City Beach. It is a nice and safe dive in super clear fresh water (if you get there before all the instructors start instructing).

You could then head down to PCB and dive the St. Andrew's Jetties (nice, easy beach dive).

Then, seeing how you are in Panama City there would be lots and lots of charters to take you and your son on ocean dives.

Devils Den would be ok for your son. It's relatively shallow and not so much an overhead environment as going into Ginnie Springs, lots of big boulders and swim thru's. If he gets tired of diving, he can snorkel. He could look for fossils in the gravel and the Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville is really cool!

It's a little drive (10hrs), but Blue Heron Bridge in West Palm would be excellent. It's shallow (~15-20'), clear water, and TONS of marine life to observe.

Radio Island in Beaufort, NC would be close, less than 35' depth, have lots of marine life, but visibility would be 10' or less.

Have Fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom