Diving with Nekton cancelled Help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This does not seem surprising to me that they are out of buisness. I was on the Roqual in Jan and It was in need of a lot of repairs then. It is too bad the boat seems to be a great concept. Maybe someone/company will take over and run it better maintenance wise. The Crew on the Boat was great.

Maybe someone/company will take over and run it better maintenance wise. The Crew on the Boat was great.

I would hope so.... but I just don't see financial institutions wanting to line up to loan money on a multi-million dollar operation with two boats that are broken down stuck in the shipyard and no employees and for the most part no customer bookings..... not in todays economy.

It's gonna take someone with "deep pockets" to jumpstart this back into operation.

I'm also not sure how the IRS liens will/could affect the sale of the operation. Also, if the IRS wasn't paid... and the employee's haven't been paid.... who else hasn't been paid? so who ever buys it will have to consider all those "ticking time bombs".

I would hope so.... but I just don't see financial institutions wanting to line up to loan money on a multi-million dollar operation with two boats that are broken down stuck in the shipyard and no employees and for the most part no customer bookings..... not in todays economy.

It's gonna take someone with "deep pockets" to jumpstart this back into operation.

I'm also not sure how the IRS liens will/could affect the sale of the operation. Also, if the IRS wasn't paid... and the employee's haven't been paid.... who else hasn't been paid? so who ever buys it will have to consider all those "ticking time bombs".

Another scenario: the IRS takes the vessels, sells them at auction for less than their actual worth, this might be a viable option. Figure three years before all that happens though.

Personally, I don't EVER want to be on a liveaboard with 32 other divers so cut them up for scrap as far as I'm concerned.

I get so tired of these companies going out of business and all they do is tell their customers tough. Sell the boats for $.10 on the dollar and pay the employees and customers fast. I have been on Liveaboards all over the world and never figured out why anybody would want to dive from an anchored boat with 32 divers.

The appeal of the Nekton boats were the very good stability, sometimes left from a Florida base, large staterooms, and (at one time) a good level of service.

I went to Cay Sal Banks on the Pilot last year. I think there were 22 passengers. Because I went alone, I enjoyed having a variety of people to speak with. Because we could come and go as we pleased pretty much, I never felt that it was crowded u/w or on top. I'm just sad that he let the company go to ruin like this.

I was on a 31/32 Pilot trip once. The only thing I hated was you had to get to the cookies faster.
(the family with 5 teens didn't help either)

We have a group of 6 doing Paradise Charters over Memorial Day. We'll let you know how it goes! Becky that was nice of you and Dan to offer a discount to displaced divers...and while it may not seem a lot...you only have 1 boat and it only takes 6 pax so its a pretty good deal! (Besides you are very reasonably priced to being with.)

For those who have not tried them...Dan and Becky are the new owners of Paradise charters and have taken the boat up a notch!

I was on a 31/32 Pilot trip once. The only thing I hated was you had to get to the cookies faster.
(the family with 5 teens didn't help either)

I WISH I was on that trip...I needed to be on the one where the cookies disappeared somewhere else besides my belly! :wink:

Key Largo, maybe two hours to the south will have plenty of day trips. West Palm Beach to the North has great drift diving ... enjoy your stay.

Back
Top Bottom