Diving with Ostomy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to revive a dead thread but seems like I'm likely going to be having surgery to create an ileostomy in the next week or so. Met with the ostomy nurse today who marked the location and went over the basics. My next stop was this forum which was really reassuring, so thank you guys for that.

I'm in the same boat at @drbill having a diverting ileostomy to heal a fistula/abscess. My quality of life the past coupl years has been horrible, so I'm not actually as freaked out by the idea of the ostomy as I thought I'd be.

Just a couple of questions for those of you diving with an ostomy: How does pressure affect the appliance? In my mind I feel like the bag would be super pressurized underwater and result in back flow. While diving, are you using 1 or 2 piece appliances?

Any other tips/advice appreciated as well. What would you have wanted to know a week before your surgery? Thank you!!

I have not been scuba diving since my urostomy/ileostomy surgery. There is virtually no information on this topic.

I’m heading to the Keys in a few weeks and plan to dive. What are my risks with a one piece bag other than I’ll go through more bags and need plenty of supplies.

What about pressures at depth then coming back to the surface? My surgeon advised there are no studies on this and recommended shallow depths to start and see how that goes.

Anyone with real world experience out there?

Thats the problem with doctors. They dont have an ostomy and cant really give you real advice.

I never had a single problem. I've dove dozens of times with mine. I've dove to 110 feet. Zero issues. Drain your pouch before you dive, and expect to change your appliance at the end of the day. Drain it in advance for comfort. Change it because the salt water will make the adhesive gummy. Otherwise it has literally no effect.

If you have any other questions I'll pm you my email address.

If there is any representatives for DAN who frequent this forum, I want to state for the public record that you're not doing your jobs. You had an open request for people with ostomys to talk with them about their experiences in diving with one. I sent several emails, and got zero responses. Clearly you care about people paying your membership fees, but not about actually getting some field proven insight from a niche group of divers.

Here is your article specifically asking people with ostomies to contact you.
DAN | News

Just diagnosed with stage 2 bladder cancer and looking at a radical cystectomy. I understand the options are having a stoma and pouch system, or a neobladder. The latter would i assume be fairly straightforward for scuba activity, however i wondered if anyone has recent experience with the Stoma and pouch. Hope this thread is not too old!

I havent dove in a couple of years. But I did allot of diving with a stoma and pouch. I've gotten allot of emails over the years from people who are interested to hear what it was like. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. john@beyondvoip.net.

@TheHuth, do you care to share here or is it too personal? There might be more people with questions on this topic that don;t feel comfortable posting but love to read information on it.

My wife (48) was suddenly diagnosed with cancer this summer. After two surgeries and radiation therapie she's fine as the scans from last week show.
But she is walking around now with a urostomy and its hard to find dive related experiences.
As far as we understand it should not be a problem to dive with it, but there might be things that others have discovered that we don't need to discover again ourselves.
Like carrying the heavy weight of a full scuba kit (she's afraid of an abdomen fracture). Or placement of the weights..everything practicly basicly...

@Jolleyi, I wish you all the luck and strength, and admire your determination to dive after such a recent diagnosis.

I dont mind sharing at all. If what I writes helps other, I'm super happy to do it.

I had a total colectomy in the middle of 2009. Prior to that I had lived with Ulcerative Colitis for roughly 8 or 9 years. UC essentially robbed me of my 20's. Being scared of the idea of having an ostomy, I tried every remedy to keep my UC in check. One day my colon ruptured. Its frankly a miracle that I survived. I woke up after surgery with a loop ileostomy. The plan was to wait until I was healthier and then have 2 more surgeries. One to create a J-Pouch, and a final one to eliminate the Ostomy. Well, 2 years and a handful of surgeries later, the J-Pouch just never healed properly. It ended up creating a Fistula. Eventually I was told that my Ulcerative Colitis diagnosis was being modified to Indeterminite Colitis; since they basically couldnt actually tell if I had UC or Chrohns. Had my original diagnosis been Chrohns, they never would have done the J-Pouch. And of course in hindsight, I wish they wouldnt have. It only created new problems. At that point I had lived with my ostomy for 2 years, and finally got used to the idea of living with it forever. I had a final surgery to remove all the j-pouch remants, and convert he loop ileostomy to an end ileostomy. I will live with that for the rest of my life. And all I can say is its the best thing I've ever done :)

I was always a very active person growing up. Even in my 20's I was active whenever I wasnt sick. The ostomy gave me back every bit of my life that I had robbed of me. Since then I have added on an Instrument Rating to my pilots license. I have travelled to Europe 3 times. I've gone skydiving, dirt bike riding, mountain bike riding, dog sledding, snowboarding, jet skiing, flowing gliders, flown planes. You name it, and I've probably done it. And as many of you probably realized, I did a significant amount of Scuba Diving. I earned my Open Water, Advanced Open Water, and Rescue certifications. I was about half way through Divemaster when I ended up moving to a new home. That new home was far enough away from the ocean that I pretty much gave up on diving. So I am no longer an active diver. But I can assure you I did plenty of it while living with an ostomy. In fact my fistula only finally decided to pack up and disapear just a year ago. So I dove while even having an active fistula. My all time favorite dive was doing the Corsair in Honolulu. Thats at 110' of water. So you can rest assured that diving is not a problem with an ostomy. At one point I had spotted an article from Divers Alert Network where they were reaching out to Ostomates to understand their experience with diving. I contacted them, and they never replied. I was a bit disheartened by that, because I very much wanted to share my story with them. I would think it would be of great interest. Hell my original post here has garnered dozens of personal emails from people asking me about my experience. You body is mostly water. Even an unaltered body has a couple of openings. You already know you can dive fine without an ostomy. Adding one more opening doesnt change anything.

An ostomy is not a death sentence. I've yet to find something I cant do while living with one. I'm planning to visit Antarctica in the next couple of years. I recently moved up to Ventura and have taken back up Surfing, which I do regularly. And I have also started Paragliding. I hold down a very good job as a Network Engineer. Most people do not know I have an ostomy unless I tell them. I dont go announcing it, but I also dont really care if people know. You cant even visually tell that I have one.

These three videos were all taken within the last 6 months. Hopefully it assures others looking at the prospect of an ostomy will realize its nothing to be scared of:

As always, I welcome people to contact me. Even though I'm open about what I've gone through, many are fighting their own personal battle. I'm always happy to offer words of wisdom and support. john@beyondvoip.net.

Wow! I can't add anything to this thread other than to say you are an inspiration! Best to you!

Back
Top Bottom