Diving with Raynaud's/Feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba31

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have completed my pool dives and was getting ready to do my check out dives when my feet got so cold my calves cramped up. I was doing my check out dives in New River in Virginia last October when the water was around 58 degrees. I have mild Raynaud's that mostly affects my feet.

My next chance for my check out dives in the end of June/beginning of July. Does anyone have any ideas on how to best keep my feet warmer and/or increase the circulation to my feet? Thanks a bunch :)

If diving wet (wich I dont understand why people do): Bring hot water with you and put it into your boots before entering the water.

If diving dry: Just put on some more/other socks!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to medical forum. Better chances of getting an answer there.

You need to wear more protective dive wear or dive in warmer water, especially as a student. At your level 7mm farmer john with top at the minimum and a 7mm hood, for 58F water.

You're pretty much at the limits of tolerance for 58F and a wet suit. If you have Reynaud's disease or phenomenon. Cant' hurt, try the socks but wet suit capacities are very limited for cold water use.

Make sure you have thick 7mm boots (not 3 or 5). You can try layering socks made of microprene, polyolefin, or 2-3 mm neoprene (several brands and styles out there). My feet get cold easily and upgrading to a thicker boot and adding neoprene socks helped. As mentioned above, starting with warm water in your suit (and boots) before each dive also helps.

Hi Scuba31,

As Saturation has indicated, you're about at the limits of tolerance for 58F with a wetsuit of any thickness. And layerying/adds ons only go so far. You're still going to have cold water penetration.

If SCUBA temps in this range are going to be the norm for you, a dry suit could be a most excellent investment.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I've got it. I work hard at avoiding the switch that can suddenly turn my feet and hands into pain-blocks.

I've been able to dive temps into the 30's. Always dry, of course. For me the key is keeping my core warm. When the core gets cold, the hands and feet pay the price.

Also, I've found that too much insulation for my hands and feet will reduce circulation, so there is a point of diminishing return on glove liners and socks.

And then, it really helps to start the dive warm, so I am very aware of my body temp on the surface while I'm kitting up. When the water is very cold, there is no time for futzing around in the water before making the dive, because the clock is ticking once I enter the water.

I bought an Otter Bay custom 12mm hood for the winter. A warm head seems to help, too.

My dive times used to be limited to 30-40 mins in the dead of winter in 32 degree water. But with my Whites MK3, this season I did an hour several times.

I took my drysuit (Whites Fusion) on my warm water vacation this year, and it was great!

I did find out that where I am doing my check out dives in a couple of weeks - Lake Rawlings - has a surface temp of 72 degrees and is about 55 degrees at 60'.

::: I'm doing a little happy dance about my check out dives :D :::

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom