Diving with Scleral Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One issue I have had with gas permeables is I sometimes get fogging when I come up from deeper dives. (70-130') I believe it is gas bubbles coming out of the lenses.

I had concerns about bubbling and losing lenses, too. Losing the smaller hard RGP lenses was also a concern and one of the reasons I didn't do the smaller RGPs. With DAN's reassurance about diving with sclerals I decided to go for it. I've done probably 20 or so dives with them now and no troubles at all.

Being filled with fluid seems to negate the creation of air troubles underneath the lens. If one were to form and expand with ascent it would simply seep out from under the lens. The vision would suffer due to the air bubble but it shouldn't cause any other trouble. The fix will be to remove the lens and reinsert with a new fill of fluid.

I also was worried about losing a lens, but losing one seems inpossible due to the suction when they are inserted. Hell, sometimes I can barely pry them off with the suction cup insertion/removal tool!

Night vision problems were a large part of what pushed me to sclerals. I work midnight shift and my vision disruption from the scar tissue was getting to be a safety issue. I still get some halos and starring but they are reduced and the numerous ghost images frm the scars have mostly all gone away when sclerals are in. So hopefully you can get some night vision improvement also!

I don't facebook but might have to dust off my signon and check out the FB page bratface mentioned. Thanks for the heads up on it.

Cheers!

BRT, I haven't gotten any fogging during a dive or after. Are you doing cold water dives or warm? I wonder if that might be a factor.

I do sometimes get fogging when the lens is a bit dirty but a good cleaning helps. I use the peroxide bubbly thing every day and once or so a week I use the liquid rub cleaner and conditioner. I also use "Blink" drops that help remove protein deposits during the day because I seem to have lots of protein trying to build up.

BRT, I haven't gotten any fogging during a dive or after. Are you doing cold water dives or warm? I wonder if that might be a factor.

I do sometimes get fogging when the lens is a bit dirty but a good cleaning helps. I use the peroxide bubbly thing every day and once or so a week I use the liquid rub cleaner and conditioner. I also use "Blink" drops that help remove protein deposits during the day because I seem to have lots of protein trying to build up.

I have had it both warm and cold. It's not fogging like a mask fogs but I believe it is gas bubbles in the lenses, but I don't know for sure. Just kind of blurs vision for awhile after a dive,

I haven't noticed this but will pay attention on our next trip. It does kind of make sense that gas might be absorbed under pressue into the gas permeable material. The result would be like getting a bubble under the scleral when inserting it.

Thank you. I just got sclera lenses abbot two months ago. I had a cornea transplant for the same reason as you had your graft.
I'm heading to Cancun to dive in two weeks and was wondering if I still had to dive my old disposable, useless, lends or if I would be able to actually see this time.
Thank you very much.

If you have these you know about them. If not, you probably don't know much about them but probably wouldn't be reading this anyway so I'll not go into what they are, just why I have them and my diving experience with them.

Typically these are used for folks with Keratoconus which is not me. My issue is that my corneas are hopelessly buggered up with scar tissue from old refractive surgeries. (I do not know if Keratoconus in contraindicative for diving or not, so I can't give advice on that.) My vision fluctuates greatly during the day and the scars result in halos and stars of glare as well as seing several ghost images of whatever I look at. At night it was much worse. Neither glasses nor regular contacts gave me reliably useful vision, and that lead me to sclerals.

While I was getting fitted I searched for good advice on whether I could dive or not wth these. Since there is basically no exchange of fluid/tears behind the contact I didn't know if there might be pressure issues or not with descent and/or ascent and if I would experience discomfort and/or changes in vision as a result.

The results of my search were mixed and not very encouraging. I was getting fit for a just-released type called Ampleye by Art Optical and the company didn't offer much help either way since they are not diving experts. My optometrist isn't a diver either. He didn't see a problem diving but wasn't sure.

I called DAN which I should have done first.

Ther guy on the phone knew instantly what I was talking about. He said there was absolutely no reason in my case that I could not dive with them. So I went to Grand Cayman and did so.

I found no noticeable changes in vision during the dives, nor did I feel any pressure or discomfort. With old smaller hard or soft contacts there is a fear of losing a lens if you flood your mask. I do not think this is a concern with sclerals since, at least in my case, they are pretty well suctioned on. As hard as they come out sometimes, I'm sure they won't wash out!

So, my experience was very positive. I hope this helps others out and, of course, if you have any doubts call DAN!

Cheers,
DS

Hi Davend,

I am glad this thread helped! I was hoping that others would find my experience helpful.

Oh, as for fogging, I have not noted any thus far.

Enjoy your clear-vision dives!

Thank you. That did help. Bad in party on your recommendation, I decided to give it a go.
15 dives in 6 days with them, and I absolutely loved it. Best I have ever seen under water.
Even had somebody kick my mall of and did not get my eyes closed before sea water flooded in... No lost lenses!!!
They stayed comfortable for 10 hour days. My soft lenses never did that while diving

Thanks for the shout out DD!

I, too, found them to work well underwater and, being as large as they are, there is almost no chance of them coming out by accident due to flooded mask.

Happy diving!
DS

Divesergeant,
Been reading posts on ScubaBoard for a while and can't believe I've missed this one till now. In any case, glad you posted your story, as I also believe it's beneficial to share with others in hope of learning about proven solutions based on reliable information.

Like you, I'm a platinum member of the cornea experimental procedures club, and can chime in with personal experiences, also looking to help others with similar conditions. Had RK done back in 1988 for Myopia and Astigmatism.

For the last 5 years or so, I've been diving with Atlantis sclerals. I LOVE them. Previously I used prescription dive masks and soft lenses that barely worked... just enough to functionally see things while diving.

The sclerals on the other hand, truly resolved the problem for me. I was using them daily, but over the past 4 years or so, I use them only when diving, and wear progressives for work.

No issues what so ever with the scleral lenses, no bubbles... unless there was one trapped to begin with that I failed to notice. They don't fall off either, even with eyes wide open and carelessly jumping from the boat during surface intervals.

I've done several marathon trips, that be lionfish hunting, or diving nonstop as much as 5 dive a day, and had no issues what so ever with Sclerals. I won't lie; sometimes after a long day, I take them off and it feels like taking off your shoes after a long day. But I'm ready to tackle the next day with no problems.

I too take them off and soak them in acid every time after use. Once in a while, I'll use a conditioner from Labob, but it's rare. The acid bath every night does it for me, even when just diving on weekends... they sit and wait just fine for me to put them on and go.

I've had a hard time finding Unisol 4, which is what I like to use to put them on. I'm going to have to find a different product soon. Still have a small stash of solution left.

In any case, happy that you have posted this here. It's very helpful to share this with others stories about the benefits of Scleral lenses. These have been a godsend for me and I know they can help others with post-op corneal irregularity issues.

I've had other problems that required me to find doctors that dive, or that understand what happens when you dive. Had cataract surgery early in life, plus several retinal detachments in both eyes, which required scleral buckles. Had vitrectomies with gas bubble insertions. You can imagine how difficult it is to find a Doctor that knows and understands this sport. Most of them just told me, you can't dive ever again.

Thank you for posting your story, here is a bit of mine.

Cheers,
Ricardo

Back
Top Bottom