Diving with Scleral Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking forward to posting about diving relatively soon instead of just talking about these lenses! What insertion solution do you use? So far I've tried regular saline, purilens and nutrifill and am still comparing. I clean with clear care plus. You mentioned the vertigo/motion sickness when you first start wearing them; did you ever feel a bit of a headache? I've been having one off and on when they're in and I'm wondering if it's just my eyes/brain getting used to the lenses or if it's something to bring up at my next appointment. It's not like a raging hangover headache, just kind of a feeling of tightness in my forehead. For my next (and hopefully last) fitting session one of the lenses is getting loosened on the landing zone. The doc noticed that when I put it in some blood vessels disappeared and when I took it out they came back, indicating a little too much pressure. I'm on day 4 of wearing them.
MD

I use Purilens mostly now. Sometimes I use Systane Ultra vials. The Systane is a thicker fluid and helps reduce the chance/severity of midday fogging if that someday occurs with you. It is also more convenient to throw a handful of vials in a bag than to tote around a whole 4oz bottle of PuriLens all the time. Regular saline also has additives that irritates eyes if held in place in the cornea and most folks recommend against it for insertion fluid.

I think I had mild headaches for a while as part of the brain-training process with the lenses. It went away and is no issue now, It’s kind of like wearing progressive lens glasses, it takes a bit for your eyes and brain to get back on the same page.

A proper fit is important. Lenses can often lead to corneal neo-vascularization. That happens when the lenses restrict oxygen from getting tot he cornea so blood vessels start to work their way into it. Your fitter will monitor this and it seems like he/she knows the process well.

Hey MD,

I am about due for a visit to my optometrist and it made me think of you. How’s it going with the sclerals?

DS

DS,
Going pretty well, been on a few dives with no issues noted. Thanks for checking in. I hope this thread continues to offer info to others out there.

Hey MD,

Glad to hear it’s going well. Sclerals, while a pain at times, even often, really do save the day for those of us with wonky cornea shapes!

As a side note, a co-worker’s wife wanted lasik. I suggested he and she research lasik complications. They didn’t. She went ahead and had both eyes done. One eye has terrible dry eye a month out now. She says if it stays where it is, she doesn’t know if life will suck or not, but says it’ll be difficult. I pray she improves.

Like you, I hope this thread continues. Others in our situation can hopefully glean info and hope from it!

Cheers,
DS

An update on insertion fluids for anyone interested. LacriPure is now readily available at the dryeyeshop.com. I used it early on, but it was unavailable for a bit. I’m glad to see it back as it works well for me.

Hope all are well.

Fellow eye/cornea sufferers, I am delighted to find this string. I have around 2400 dives, and am months shy of 65. I have been traveling a lot in the past few years, and am looking forward to more, soon. I have kerataonus , cataracts removed, detached retina... you name it.
I am going for scleral contact fittings, tomorrow. I have been in the dumps over my recent eye injuries. My dr. Can not advise on diving. Your string has given me hope. I can’t pass a driver’s license test with glasses , now. I’m desperate, and this may be a blessing in disguise. Thank all of you for your posts. I’ll keep you updated from time to time. TexasJoe

Fellow eye/cornea sufferers, I am delighted to find this string. I have around 2400 dives, and am months shy of 65. I have been traveling a lot in the past few years, and am looking forward to more, soon. I have kerataonus , cataracts removed, detached retina... you name it.
I am going for scleral contact fittings, tomorrow. I have been in the dumps over my recent eye injuries. My dr. Can not advise on diving. Your string has given me hope. I can’t pass a driver’s license test with glasses , now. I’m desperate, and this may be a blessing in disguise. Thank all of you for your posts. I’ll keep you updated from time to time. TexasJoe
I had corneal grafts for kerataconus in '85 and '87. I have been able to get vision all these years with RGP lenses but now the slope is coming back and I'm not sure when I'll have to go to specialty lenses. Good luck!

I went to measurements, today. Went well. I’m cautiously optimistic, actually a bit excited. They got me to 20-30 and 20-40. Way better than with my glasses. Can’t pass a driving test with glasses right now, so again, I’m cautiously optimistic.

I went to measurements, today. Went well. I’m cautiously optimistic, actually a bit excited. They got me to 20-30 and 20-40. Way better than with my glasses. Can’t pass a driving test with glasses right now, so again, I’m cautiously optimistic.
Did you have contacts in to do the vision test?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom