• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Diving with sharks from Sao Miguel (Azores)?

Discussion in 'General Europe' started by Clemens van Andel, May 3, 2021 at 4:53 PM.

1. Clemens van Andel

Clemens van Andel New

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Hi everyone,

Me and my girlfriend are thinking about going to the Azores in July or August this summer. Being absolutely crazy about sharks, and knowing there are possibilities to go dive with blue- and occasionally mako- sharks during this period at some places in the Azores, it would be awesome to combine a week of holiday with one day of shark diving.

Flights from our home country go to directly to the island Sao Miguel, where we're probably going to stay. However, I have only seen shark diving tours online from Faial & Pico island. Unfortunately, my girlfriend is not a diver and she is also not keen on the idea of going island hopping since we are probably only able to go for a week.

Does anyone know if there are possibilities to go shark diving from Sao Miguel? All help is very much appreciated!

Kind regards,
    Clemens

2. David Novo

David Novo REEF Volunteer

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    As far as I know, this is only done in the Azores Central Island group (mainly Faial and Pico). São Miguel is on the Eastern group.

I was in Faial and Pico last year and due to Covid, just one dive center in Faial (none in Pico) was going to the sharks (named Norberto). There were snorkelers too.

In Faial / Pico another top dive is Princesa Alice seamount 3/4 hours by boat. You can consistently see chilean devilfish (mobulas), often in large numbers. Last year, I saw a whale shark there.

In Santa Maria, the island closest to São Miguel, there is also a spot for these mobulas (45 min from port) and last year whale sharks were often there in the Summer. As far as I know, some dive centers in São Miguel were going there too, but the trip is longer.

There are two other top offshore dives between Santa Maria and São Miguel: Dollabarat and Formigas. They are close to each other.

Close to São Miguel, the most famous dive is the Dori wreck. I have never been there.

Clemens van Andel and Sbiriguda like this.
  3. JMBL

JMBL Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Click here, it should help, it's the official Azores website :)

I was in Santa Maria and Faial some years ago.

From Faial, try diving the Princess Alice bank (long trip though) and Norberto is the right guy to meet.

From Santa Maria, there's Ambrosia, to meet the mobulas (it was awesome) and Formigas (long trip again). I dove with those guys here. Jorge the boss is a terrific guy, and it seems they have expanded the facility to provide for tek divers now.

I want to get back in Azores, hopefully next year.

Clemens van Andel likes this.