Diving without a depth gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My integrated depth gauge took a proverbial dive in Bonaire. No worries I had my computer. Of course my incredible dive partner and wife said " great.....Now you are getting new equipment ". As much as I love wearing out my my equipment and buying more I can't see a reason to replace this unit. Does anyone still use an integrated unit and a computer? Bill

My integrated depth gauge took a proverbial dive in Bonaire. No worries I had my computer. Of course my incredible dive partner and wife said " great.....Now you are getting new equipment ". As much as I love wearing out my my equipment and buying more I can't see a reason to replace this unit. Does anyone still use an integrated unit and a computer? Bill
I have never owned a depth gauge and about a year ago left the SPG in the dive bag. A.I. computer is all that is needed for no stop diving, IMO.

Nope. Dive computer. If mine fails I have my buddy’s. If I’m solo diving I take two computers. If I have two computers fail on the same dive I’m really unlucky, but I’m pretty sure I can guess 15-20ft depth and count to 360 if I really had to.

Jim

I dive with SPGs with no depth gauge other than my 2 computers, i guess i too could count to 300 and launch my DSMB while holding on to my 6m line which i marked. I think the question is, how much risk are you willing to take if shyte hits the fan. But i must add, although i don't use AIs, but if i did, i would still want my SPG with me

I know I'm the aberation, but if I'm going out for a one tank beach dive locally, I know I won't get deeper than 50' and I know I have 45 min of air max in my tank. For those dives I don't take a depth gauge, watch, computer... etc... and have never missed them. I do use a SPG. If I'm showing someone how to dive vintage I'll substitute a watch and J-valve for a SPG. Otherwise, if I am doing multiple dives/days I'll use my AI computer and that's it. A back-up computer is a good idea but I've never gotten around to getting one. So far luck has been on my side and haven't had a computer crap out on me on a dive trip. I did lose a computer in Cocos back in the early 90's but I just finished the week on tables. My 2psi.

On boat dives or dives with a majority of time below 30' I use a computer, dive watch and analog depth gauge and SPG in my console. 30' or less I don't take the computer.

I have never owned a depth gauge and about a year ago left the SPG in the dive bag. A.I. computer is all that is needed for no stop diving, IMO.
Pretty similar for me - I did have a console with SPG and depth gauge but after buying the computer (Perdix which has air integration) I have ditched both. If the computer craps out, it is dive over and I am making my way to the surface. I will carry a spare SPG on a long trip (as well as a back up computer- still have the first DC I bought) so in case of disaster, I can swap the SPG for the AI pod and use the back up for the rest of the dives.

Like most I started out with a SPG and depth gauge in a console. When I moved to an air integrated computer a few years ago I considered removing my gauges but decided against it since it would be more like what my students would have.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago when a group of us were fun diving in Honduras and my AI transmitter ceased to work on the second day of the trip. I still had all of my console gauges in tact and although I was only faced with having to track my air on the console and not depth or time I was glad to have had the backup and it reinforced to me the comfort of mind of keeping my console gauges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom