• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Diving Without an Inflator Hose

Discussion in 'Advanced Scuba Discussions' started by certainmisuse, Mar 16, 2019.

1. certainmisuse

certainmisuse Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Warren, thanks for the response, but the types of diving you are describing are not what I had in mind for this. See, "very shallow dives" in OP. Plummeting to the bottom as you describe, for me, would abruptly stop me at around 25'. And I should say, with this information, if you still take issue with it, that's fine and we can discuss. That's why i posed the question, not so i could go diving tomorrow with an unfamiliar concept.

2. uncfnp

uncfnp Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    The op ask if there would be issues and was considering removing the hose for shallow dives. I replied yes he could by either not connecting the hose to the power inflater or by completely removing the hose and plugging the first stage port. And since none of this involves removing the corrugated hose to the wing the wing would not be compromised. All obvious as you say but the op did ask. At least that is the way I read it.

I agree it is good practice to orally inflate the wing. Not sure though how intermittently removing the hose would simplify things or eliminate a significant failure point. Removing and replacing the hose from the first stage repeatedly may itself create a failure, damaged o-ring or threads, forgotten plug (yes I know none of this should happen).

Joneill likes this.
  3. caruso

caruso Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Ok you probably just overlooked where the Op said exactly that in his first post.

4. uncfnp

uncfnp Solo Diver

Then think of it as validating the op’s thought process, with the exceptions noted. Why the drama?

I will not derail the op’s thread further. If you have a problem with me or my posts feel free to pm me.

chillyinCanada and caruso like this.
  5. CT-Rich

CT-Rich Solo Diver

I’m scratching my head on this too,. Why don’t you just connect the power inflator and then not use it? You don’t have to disconnect it from the regulator and reconnect it repeatedly. At taking things on and off as where so you’re more likely to have a failure by changing the rig repeatedly.

Scubamat, AfterDark, Steve_C and 4 others like this.
  6. seeker242

seeker242 DIR Practitioner

And what failure point would you be eliminating?

7. caruso

caruso Loggerhead Turtle

A hose.

8. AdivingBel

AdivingBel Solo Diver

And the ability of the power inflator to stick while actually inflating. Still not sure how that's really different than not using it other than it's not physically connected to your tank/reg. Not sure how it would stick open/inflating if you just didn't depress it, but I guess it COULD happen. I guess if you were orally inflating and accidently pressed the wrong button...:idk: IMHO, seems like a lot of worry over something pretty commonplace compared to other things to be worrying about ...but hey...dive and let dive...:)

9. Soloist

Soloist Solo Diver

I have had countless o-ring issues where the first stage hose connects to the inflator and occasionally a sticking inflator button, but I NEVER let this interfere with my dive plan. Depending on when the problem appears I simply disconnect the hose pre-dive or during. If you are obsessed with eliminating potential failure points go ahead and plug the first stage, but honestly you can easily resolve most inflator issues by disconnecting the hose and add air to your wing manually if/when necessary.

10. ontdiver

ontdiver Solo Diver

I'm with caruso on this one.

caruso likes this.