Diving Without an Inflator Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has already been proven on this thread the word “orally” is low hanging fruit for juvenile humor.

Hmmm...another good call. Though to me most threads these days could use a bit of humor :(, juvenile or otherwise, but I would never want to encourage wanton pedanticisim. :) All IMHO, YMMV.

This thread is fascinating.

I learned to dive before modern BCs with power inflators were standard. In fact, I saw none of them around at the time. We all learned to mouth inflate our BCs when needed. We also learned to be neutral at 15-20' so we were not that negative on the bottom. None of this is a big deal. It's just how it was then.

Fast forwarding to today, power inflators reduce task loading, primarily on descent for a well-weighted diver, but to some extent during the dive when lung volume is not sufficient to maintain depth control with comfort. There's a lot to be said for reducing task loading. There are many fewer steps involved in pushing a button than the process of removing a reg, transferring one's mouth to the BC hose, pushing a different button, partially exhaling into the BC, switching back to the reg, and clearing it. Add some problems to manage while you this, and you have the potential for a larger problem to develop.

All that said, I would not hesitate to jump in the water without a power inflator for a recreational dive again. I have, too, when I wound up grabbing the wrong reg for a dive some time back. It's how I learned, and it's automatic. The biggest difference was my descent speed--lots slower than my usual plummet to the bottom, so I had time to add air to the wing. I've also had a runaway inflator, disconnected it, and continued the dive without incident. This stuff takes some practice and experience, but it's just not that hard.

However, my inflator hoses are all installed (exceptions aside), and connected at the start of a dive. Power inflators add less risk than task loading in my opinion, and they're awfully convenient. I prefer to dive with them rather than without them.

Warren,

The above, exactly.

But, at shallow depths like you indicate, you will control your buoyancy with your lungs, assuming you are properly weighted to begin with. (This is still true, but a little less so, on deeper dives, with wetsuits of varying thickneses, etc.) So, you can probably do shallow dives with oral inflation of the BC because you will only have to put in a breath or two at the bottom, and then not mess with it. It might even be good practice, if you ever have a power inflator fail.

But, as a standard diving practice? No way--for all the reasons discussed by TrimixToo. it is, simply, safer to dive with the power inflator. I can't imagine a regular practice of dropping on a deep wreck or reef in a current, and having to huff and puff between my reg and oral inflator to halt the descent, all the while clearing ears, watching my buddy, etc. I also trained (early 1970s) without the power inflator. I dove with a very advanced group of divers. When the power inflator came along, we thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Anything that makes diving easier, less stressful, more automatic, keeps the reg in your mouth, and that allows focus on the dive and not on the gear is a good thing.

Whats the actual question?

I understand it to be is there any "issue" with no having a hose attached to the BC.

The plain answer is "no". The end of the hose that connects to your BCD has a valve in it that is opened when you connect it to the BCD. A spring and O-ring keep it closed when it's not connected to your BCD. Water isn't going to go "up the hose" and into your regulator, if that's what you're asking (as long as there's pressure in the cylinder).

I have a pony bottle and the regulator I have on it has an inflator hose on it. It's never connected to anything when I'm diving because the only thing I use it for is calibrating my O2 analyzer from the air in the bottle bottle. My analyzer has the inflator hose connector.

Of course, as others have mentioned, there may be "safety" issues with doing what you describe.

How much does neoprene itself resist compression? No idea of the real numbers, but I don't think it's by much.

Another interesting change over the years. The neoprene now, made to be more flexible, compresses much more than the type of neoprene of the 60's. The result was a smaller buoyancy change back then for the same change in depth. Of course getting into the suit was a project.

Bob

Without a BC your bouancy skills and ability will be poor. Don't tell us you can just use your breath, that won't work at every depth as your wetsuit compresses and bouancy characteristics change. If you want to dive without a BC don't let me see you dragging yourself over the coral.

And this above is what many divers believe.

@lamarpaulski
stated
"Bad idea. I remember how happy I was when they came out. I had a horse collar BC and it required oral inflation. Life got a lot easier and safer with inflator hose and connection....."

@AfterDark
When I began diving, before auto inflators, it was common for me at least to carry a big rock or several smaller ones to begin the descent releasing the rock(s) as my buoyancy changed...…"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since you both were active divers and can recall the introduction of Auto Inflators - one on the west cost the other the east coast.. the questions are:

When? and by whom? -- company or certifying agency dis you first experienced an auto inflator ????

I recall in 1970s ( i recall early 1970s???) when Nemrod/ Seamless Rubber Company introduced their built proof yellow Personal Floatation Vest (PFV) with an HP bottle slung below the PFV for inflation.

I also recall that John Gaffney of NASDS along with ??? Bailey of Bailey suit fame was big on push button diving -- especially Bailey and his "Dive Pillow" (piece of JUNK - but he sold a lot of them !

I currently do not have access to my training manuals- especially the first NASDS manual Safe SCUBA by Bill Hogan which might provide insight into Auto Inflation time line

Inquiring minds want to know...

Cheers from California on a lovely clear warm sunny day

Sam Miller, III
@Akimbo
@Scuba Lawyer

@Marie13 -- Continuing Educational Credits =CEC

@lamarpaulski
stated
"Bad idea. I remember how happy I was when they came out. I had a horse collar BC and it required oral inflation. Life got a lot easier and safer with inflator hose and connection....."

@AfterDark
When I began diving, before auto inflators, it was common for me at least to carry a big rock or several smaller ones to begin the descent releasing the rock(s) as my buoyancy changed...…"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since you both were active divers and can recall the introduction of Auto Inflators - one on the west cost the other the east coast.. the questions are:

When? and by whom? -- company or certifying agency dis you first experienced an auto inflator ????

I recall in 1970s ( i recall early 1970s???) when Nemrod/ Seamless Rubber Company introduced their built proof yellow Personal Floatation Vest (PFV) with an HP bottle slung below the PFV for inflation.

I also recall that John Gaffney of NASDS along with ??? Bailey of Bailey suit fame was big on push button diving -- especially Bailey and his "Dive Pillow" (piece of JUNK - but he sold a lot of them !

I currently do not have access to my training manuals- especially the first NASDS manual Safe SCUBA by Bill Hogan which might provide insight into Auto Inflation time line

Inquiring minds want to know...

Cheers from California on a lovely clear warm sunny day

Sam Miller, III
@Akimbo[/

Sam, the horse collar BC was black and I think it was US Divers. (My next BC was a Sherwood Manta) Uncomfortable crotch strap ! Had to be careful to put on weight belt after BC or crotch strap wouldn’t allow you to easily ditch them.

If I recall correctly, and I may not, I think the inflator hose connected to front of BC rather than oral inflator hose like most do today. I thought it was a big improvement especially in really rough water. Keeping reg in mouth was a safety plus.

My memory of early-mid 70s diving is like a steel trap - rusty and hard to get to work.

I sort of recall others having an orangish or maybe yellow heavy duty rubbery horse collar with a largish inflator bottle independent from scuba tank - Fenzy ??

My next BC will be a BP/wing.

I remember that I really really really wanted a Fenzy but for me at the time they were too expensive.

My first BC with an auto-inflator [in fact my first BC ever not counting my dad's WWII Mae West I used for years - not a real BC I guess - more emergency floatation - but I digress] was a yellow US Divers horsecollar. The inflator hose had a long pointy end that plugged into the mechanism on the BC. I learned to hate crotch straps in a hurry after the first time I fully inflated that sucker. Used it a bunch and it is still hanging on a nail in my garage. See pic. M

Q74odW.jpg

I unearthed a copy of Bill Hogan's NASDS book Safe SCUBA. It was originally printed in 1970, mine is the revised 1974 edition
It illustrated the basic PFV. a PFV with an accessory push button inflator and the AT Pac with its unique inflator
Using Safe SCUBA as a reference it is established that the push button inflator was avalaivle and in use in 1974
Sam Miller, 111

CC
@Marie13 CED

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom