DIY add-on lenses for dive masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquafilio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I devised the following contraption for adding corrective lenses to a dive mask, externally and I'm sharing it here in case it interests anyone:

Diving Mask With Add on Lenses

FSGA5R3J7UQYIX4.MEDIUM.jpg

FCRX2BWJ84QSZZL.MEDIUM.jpg

F7HNP5NJ7UQYIZ2.MEDIUM.jpg

FGR2P8SJ84QT0CP.MEDIUM.jpg

Like it? Share it and vote for it if you can.

That looks like a Rube Goldberg contraption for sure! You added a frame part around the outside of the mask to mount them too, right? Not that I'm interested in how to make something like that! It also looks like you made some kind of panel for the lenses to mount to, right? Ok ok! I'm going to build something like that for myself! I think that is absolutely brilliant! A prescription mask for myself has to be a custom thing due to my prescription and that means a lot of cash and then I might not even like it. Your invention rocks!!!

That looks like a Rube Goldberg contraption for sure! You added a frame part around the outside of the mask to mount them too, right? Not that I'm interested in how to make something like that! It also looks like you made some kind of panel for the lenses to mount to, right? Ok ok! I'm going to build something like that for myself! I think that is absolutely brilliant! A prescription mask for myself has to be a custom thing due to my prescription and that means a lot of cash and then I might not even like it. Your invention rocks!!!

Thanks! Have a look at the detailed description here: Diving Mask With Add on Lenses
It looks a bit Rube Goldbergish, but it's quite simple actually. It just is an airtight lens holder that is fitted on to a frame. There's scope for improving the design.
If you are going to be making one for yourself, there's a bit of tweaking to be done with the power of the lenses. For instance I have presbyopia and need reading glasses. While on land I use +1.75 lenses, I found that in the water I need to add +0.50 to my lenses and therefore require +2.25 lenses underwater. If you are an underwater photographer and need to look at your camera from a close range, another +0.50 power will be useful.
As I don't have myopia I haven't tried this with lenses that have minus (-) power and can't suggest what adjustments need to be made underwater. You'll either have to do some research or just go by trial and error.
But once you get it right, you'll be a happy diver.
Good luck!

No , I just remember a test with these mask are more 1:1 to actual vision on air and have remembered that you have big lense to look on surface through it ( instead to simply remove mask)

Scuba Masks by HydroOptix -- Tech -- Double-Dome "Magic"

PS: bad side of that mask is large volume for equalization pressure, It also have purging valve for water inside

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom