diy bcd wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobin, I think you should spend time figuring out how to make a diy wing without the rf welder, and then sell the plans to airspeedexpress for us :-D

Austin

Hi all, I felt liking digging up an 8 years old post. Seems still to be relevant in some way.

I have the same question, is there a way to make your own BCD? Any place where they sell wholesale prices for materials and such?

A BCD is not really a complicated piece of equipment, and doesn't really get updated overtime either.

Anyone?

Ha! I'll resurrect this thread again.

I also want to make a better BCD. And I have a lot of good ideas. I can't stand the design of current BCDs There is only one feature I would retain.

But better to practice one something bigger first that won't end in death or embolism if it fails.

I'm making an instantly erectable inflatable shower/outhouse and Im looking for it to be as durable as a BCD. I need the rigidity to come from air pressure. So the thought was to use a low pressure inflator at first and then top it off with a few puffs from a high pressure cylinder (6cf Spare air) to make it really rigid- with. BCD purge valve to do away with excess pressure so it doesn't explode.

SO I thought about taking pool noodles or even Closed cell foam pipe insulation- putting coat hangers inside the hollows so I could bend it to shape and it would retain its shape - maybe even some Romex.

Coat that with mold release compound . So after I glue the entire Shebang together I could slide out the foam- rinse out with alcohol to remove the mold release.

I considered the bicycle inner tube- or other inner tubes for different things , or even pre- made inflatables just for structure. But I was concerned with rubber rotting , perhaps that is unfounded. I also thought I could give particular structure by varying the thickness of the air bladder sections. So a linear tire tube wasn't as appealing.

My thoughts as to what to use for glue... this 3m 5200 fast set. if its strong enough for ocean sailing......

I would use "ligaments" like in the BCD video to give it form.

Now there is no need for heat sealing or RF sealing provided the Urethane doesn't easily delaminate from the nylon material. With enough surface area contact Im hoping it will do.

I could take a few of the foam rolls- spiral 1.4x to 2.0x layers around the foam so it would not have the possibility of splitting at the seams. Then glue those pieces to the structure also using 3M 5200 quick set.

I get to use a BCD inflator for low pressure- and a high pressure hose is already there. A regular dump valve allows for quick deflate and prevention of over inflating. A reverse pump allows for full quick deflation.

The thought occurred to me ... I could use the bottom of the structure to fill with water (provide I put in some WIDER support ligaments so it doesn't rip itself apart... then the air pressure would provide the pressure for an intense shower if wanted. It could be a separate section so it doesn't lose its structure when the water runs out and the gas escapes.

a 12 year old thread... gotta love them interwebs

For all the hard plastic parts, your best bet is to find a BC on craigslist or a local buy nothing group that is at the end of it's useful life. In my case mice ate a bunch of holes in someone's BC and they just gave it to me.

Sew an outer shell out of cordura. For the bladder itself use this stuff - Heat Sealable Packcloths Leave 1.5-2" to seal around the outside. They recommend an iron, but I found a hair straightener from a second hand store works better because it heats form both sides.

Do some testing, it takes a bit to get your technique down, but once you do, they bladder is plenty durable. The one in my profile pick is 7or 8 years old now with no issues.

Good luck and stay safe.

Back
Top Bottom