DIY converting a titanium first stage yoke to DIN...nuts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sshrum

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I posted a thread earlier about converting the yoke on a T2x to a titanium DIN under Basic Scuba...

I'm still waiting on a response from Atomic, but since then I've been looking at a number of other posts and found one where the author was discussing DIY conversions with a link to scubatools.com

I'm comfortable around tools, so with that in mind, if I got my own torque wrench and the appropriate socket, couldn't I just do the conversion myself. This would allow me to switch out the connection type whenever I wanted without having to purchase the titanium DIN-to-yoke adapter ($440).

Torque wrench:
3/8" Drive Dial Torque Wrench - $165

Sockets (not sure what size the Atomic T2x uses)
X-Long 5/16" Hex Key Socket - $16
X-Long 6mm Hex Key Socket - $16

If the first stage was a soft metal (such as brass) I'd have reservations but this is titanium.

Does it sound nuts if I was to DIY with the appropriate tools?

And honestly, as long as I'm doing this properly, how would anyone know the difference warranty wise?

I wish i knew or could see what your changing but anything we own is diy just how willing the person changing it is. take off install look for leaks

Are you talking about changing the Yoke adapter with a DIN adapter? It's super easy. It's always nice to have a torque wrench, but you will probably be fine without one (just don't go crazy about cranking it). If you care about the warranty (I don't on my B2 Atomic), then check the warranty terms - might be something like "must be serviced by a dealer every 2 year". I doubt that changing the adapter yourself would constitute grounds for warranty denial (even if there were a way to detect and prove this). And then again, what does this warranty provide at all? However, I can understand your apprehension about the warranty - these T2x regs cost a small fortune. It sounds like you are over-thinking it though. You don't need all the specialized tools, although they are nice to have if you are considering servicing your own regs in the future. There is hardly anything that can go wrong in just changing an adapter, especially if you are informed about the torque specs. So, just do it already and be happy! :wink:

I do not have the same 1st stage. My 1st stage started out as a yoke but someone gave me a din tank and I ended up just buying the part that converts it to a din. I watched the tech at my shop make the switch from yoke to din one time and I was ready to go. Now when I go on vacation and they do not offer din tanks I just switch the hardware back to yoke. It is pretty simple on mine to switch, the yoke has a nut and the din is more like a cap that screws on.

Back
Top Bottom