DIY drysuit zipper repair w/pics, shoulder entry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leisure Pro Brett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Over the last couple of years my drysuit has been leaking on my shoulders every so often when I was diving, I found that if I moved the right way I wouldn’t get any leaking at all, but if I moved the wrong way the water would come in quite fast. So it was time to replace the zipper and after 10 years of warm diving that didn’t seem like too much of a problem until I saw how much it would cost to have it done. The logical next step was to try to do it myself, unfortunately my NYC apartment probably isn’t the most ideal work area but it’s what I have to deal with. Needless to say this is just my experience with replacing a zipper and by no means the definitive guide for doing such, you should only undertake this procedure if you are comfortable doing so at your own (and your suit’s) risk. Much of the info I got for doing this swap came from this thread by Dave4868 as well as my own experiences changing wrist and neck seals as well as fixing the occasional leak. For the parts needed to do this swap the hardest part to get was the zipper but after a bit of work I got that taken care of. The local Home Depot covered most of the rest, the Weldwood contact cement, roller, paint brushes, and a small plastic dropcloth. The monster tube of Aqua seal came from Leisure Pro and I already had the razor used to cut the stitching that held the zipper in and the Dremel used to grind off glue and prep the surfaces.

• The first step is to get all your tools together and your workspace prepared, keep in mind you will be using 2 types of glue as well as sanding and trying to keep a fairly bulky suit in place. The process also takes a bit of time so make sure you have a fair chunk of time set aside. Here you can see some of the wear on my zipper that was causing the problem, there was another space on the zipper that was almost as bad.
attachment.php

• Next we remove the heat tape and the zipper, you can use a hairdryer or a heat gun to help loosen things up a bit. I don’t have a heat gun anymore so the hairdryer was my chosen tool. If you use a hair dryer the process will take longer but you don’t have to worry as much about melting/burning the suit and your fingers.
attachment.php

• Once it’s warmed up pull off the heat tape, this step was fairly easy on my suit.
attachment.php

• Now for the hard part, getting the zipper out, this was probably the most labor-intensive part of the process. Not only is the zipper glued into place quite well, it is also stitched in which slows down removal even more. Basically you heat up a about a foot of suit and then pull the zipper away from the suit at a corner to get started. Then while separating suit from zipper you cut the stitching and slowly but surely you work your way around the suit. If you are using a razor blade be sure you don’t cut the suit accidentally.
attachment.php

• When it’s out you can set the old ugly one next to the nice new one.
attachment.php

• In the next step you need to remove any excess glue left on the suit. You don’t have to grind it all down but you do want to get off as much as you can. This serves 2 purposes, the first is it smoothes out the area to be glued, the second is that it opens up the glue and material to better accept the glue you will be putting on. If you had a suit where they used Aquaseal to seal the zipper there will probably be a fairly large rim of that to grind down. You can see the top of the pic has been ground down a bit, the bottom is next.
attachment.php

• The next part involves getting the suit ready to be glued and have the new zipper put in. Since my suit was a shoulder entry it helped to take the dump valve out so that the arm would lay flat and make the job of installing the zipper easier. I also took this time to quickly roughen up the part of the zipper being glued with the grinder. Remember you want this glue to stick and hold the zipper in for a good long time.
attachment.php

attachment.php

• Use some weights to hold the suit in place so that we can apply the glue pretty much per the instructions on the can. Mix it up really good then apply 3 coats to both the zipper and the suit where the zipper will be sitting. If it helps you can do a test fit and mark off the areas on the suit that will need the glue with some chalk. You want to move fast on this part so once you have a coat on the suit and the zipper it’s time to go back and put the second coat on the suit... and so on.
attachment.php

• This next step came straight from Dave4868’s thread, put slices of heavy duty 1 gal Ziplock freezer bags over the contact cement on the zipper once it’s dried a bit so it’s only slightly tacky. This will keep the zipper from sticking to the suit unless you have already pulled back the plastic to expose the glue. Remember this stuff likes to stick and once the surfaces touch each other there isn’t too much repositioning them so be careful.
attachment.php

• Now you will quickly turn the suit right side out and place the zipper and a small hard/flat surface (scrap piece of wood) inside the suit for a hard surface to run the roller over. Line everything up and peel away the plastic from the zipper on the end you want to start with and gently push the surfaces of the zipper and suit together. Then you will work your way down the zipper trying to keep everything neat and lined up, be careful not to stretch the material at all when doing this. There is little give with a trilam suit but if you stretch a little each time you will end up with some excess that will only cause problems when you are trying to line everything up.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 3,270
  • 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 2,424
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 2,287
  • 04.JPG
    04.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 2,233
  • 05.JPG
    05.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 2,170
  • 06.JPG
    06.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 2,148
  • 07.JPG
    07.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 2,110
  • 08.JPG
    08.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 2,117
  • 09.JPG
    09.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 2,161
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 2,103
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 2,470
  • Once you have a good portion of the suit and zipper together and everything appears to be still lined up then you can get the roller out. The areas that you gently pushed together should be rolled so with sufficient pressure to get everything stuck well. Go over it a couple of times in different directions remembering the piece of wood inside that is giving you a firm base to press against. Then you just work your way down the suit, exposing, aligning, pressing and rolling your way down the rest of the zipper.

attachment.php

• Call me paranoid, but I don’t want my zipper coming off, so the next step is to roll it some more. I hit it up every so often over the next few hours to make sure everything is flat and stuck well. Also look for any trapped air bubbles between the zipper and the suit and try to get those out, they certainly aren’t going to help anything stick.

attachment.php

• Remember what I said about not stretching the suit at all, well I guess I pulled a little too hard and ended up with some excess fabric in one area that lead to some wrinkling. It’s not the end of the world but I really wish it wasn’t there L.

attachment.php

• There is also just a touch more zipper on one side than the other, this is no problem in my book and is here as more of an illustration of what to look out for more than anything else. Remember if things are off too much you will run out of zipper mat to glue to and then you have problems.

attachment.php

• Once the contact cement has dried for a good amount of time (I left it over night) it’s time to apply the Aquaseal around the perimeter of the zipper suit border to seal things up and give a stronger bond. I masked the area off so that I could lay a nice thick bead on in one or two steps very quickly without having to worry about it being uneven. I used electrical tape for this and it worked pretty well.

attachment.php

• Squeeze out a good amount of Aquaseal and slop it on in a good thick coat, try not to get it on anything you don’t want it on because it’s a bit of a pain to remove. If you did end up with any wrinkles in the suit be sure to put a bit of extra Aquaseal in those areas. The proper method of putting the Aquaseal on would be 3 thinner layers allowing the glue to dry for a couple of hours between coats. Either method works, the first is just faster.

attachment.php

• Once you have a good bead laid on then you will talc up the glue while it’s still wet, this keeps the Aquaseal from being sticky/glossy when it’s dry.

attachment.php

• Now you can pull off the electrical tape hopefully exposing your beautiful glue job. You will most likely also want to talc up the glue one more time before it dries too much. Also apply a dab of Aquaseal to any areas that appear to need it, depending on your first coat you may also want to do a second coat.

attachment.php

• For the end of the zipper that had some extra space I decided to glue on a patch that I made for it just to keep things pretty. It stands out a bit in the picture but is very hard to see in person.

attachment.php

attachment.php

• Also on the outside of the suit I applied some Aquaseal where the wrinkles were, this should keep things sealed up and keep them from getting snagged on anything.

attachment.php

• That’s it! Make sure everything can dry well and then put the suit back together and your done.

Attachments

• 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 2,100
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 2,140
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 2,061
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 2,058
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 2,073
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 2,090
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 2,053
  • 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 2,052
  • 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 2,047
  • 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 2,062
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 2,235
Nice write up. I have done a few zippers myself so far. I have a heat gun but found an iron to also work well as it concentrates the heat. Heat is your friend when separating glued objects.

So when is LP going to start selling zippers for a good price? There are a couple of places that sell zippers, but a major e-tailer would be nice.

Nice guide and pics, Brett!

I'm going to try your tip about powdering the wet Aquaseal on my last coat, since I often use multiple thin coats of Aquaseal.

Thanks for posting! :)

Dave C

Thanks for the info! I recently did my neck seal with excellent results. Only thing I forgot was to talc up the Aquaseal. I performed a temporary fix on my zipper but I'm going to tackle replacing it on my Bare Trilam after I complete my Trimix course. Anyone have any more sources on zippers?

RiverRat, I know that this is an older thread but how did you perform a "temporary fix" to your zipper?

RiverRat, I know that this is an older thread but how did you perform a "temporary fix" to your zipper?

I put aquaseal where the teeth were pulling away from the fabric. I then sewed some heavy duty thread in between several of the spaces in between the teeth to out beyond the tear. This brought the fabric together and closed up the tear. After that dried I think I put another coat of aquaseal on it. It helped for awhile and got me by until I had Diver's Cove in Essex, CT replace it.
It leaked after awhile though but got me through the Trimix dives.

Good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom