DIY fins bungee strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Since I am planning to make the fins, I will need a bungee strap
BUNGEE_NUM.png

Part 1: Handle
I am planning to use folded bycicle inner tubes

Part 2: Bungee
I want to use a bungee like this one:
bungee_cord.jpg

The best choice would be spearfishing arbalete elastic bungees like these ones linked below, but they are expensive. The advantage is they already have a plastic threaded pin
Pesca subacquea - Elastici TOP ENERGY NYLON 13mm

Part 3: threaded pin or bungee extesions
I already have two, I got them for free with snorkeling fins. They look like these
mares-bungee-extensions-Big-1.jpg
Mares Bungee Extensions

I still don't understand exactly how to tighten the bungee cord to these pins

Part 4: Buckles
By now I will use spare Mares buckles, then I will try to understand how to build new buckles from scratch. This metal buckle below shows the inner part of the buckles

Attachments

• Scuba_Fin_Strap_FS-200_3.jpg
    Scuba_Fin_Strap_FS-200_3.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Here are some pics on replacing the bungee for a pair of Mares fins using the existing hardware.

Attachments

• 74EE5D4C-33D0-4508-941B-91F63D86EB0C.jpeg
    74EE5D4C-33D0-4508-941B-91F63D86EB0C.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 481
  • 8B03E9F5-A991-4D23-AC21-981C56F2404D.jpeg
    8B03E9F5-A991-4D23-AC21-981C56F2404D.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 470
I often just wrap a bungee we use to keeps tanks in place on the boat to the mares avanti tre fins, works great.

Why do you need the buckle and rubber strap?

And if you are using spearfishing rubbers get the ones for pole spears as they will be cheaper and easier to add to those bungee extensions (
0020c2e560050-aHR0cDovL3NwZWFyZmlzaGluZy5waWNzL2ltYWdlL0V1cm9NdXp6bGVCYW5kQWRhcHRlcjY4Ni5qcGc%3D.jpg
, use a constrictor know to keep them on.)

I often just wrap a bungee we use to keeps tanks in place on the boat to the mares avanti tre fins, works great.

Why do you need the buckle and rubber strap?

And if you are using spearfishing rubbers get the ones for pole spears as they will be cheaper and easier to add to those bungee extensions (use a constrictor know to keep them on.)

I didn’t realize the threads were the same. Good to know. Thanks!

Thanks
Since I have spare buckles and extensions I would like to use them, anyway you are right, it seams the cheapest and best option
A question, how exactly do you clip the spearfishing rubbers to the extensions?

I didn’t realize the threads were the same. Good to know. Thanks!

The threads are probably not the same , but pole spear rubbers have a wider diameter hole in the center and they can be forced on the extenders, the rubbers goes on the end oposit the threads and you keep it there with a constrictor knot ()

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom