DIY Full Face Mask for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveanytime

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently I got the urge to buy a snorkeling full face mask and modify it for a 2nd stage regulator and remove or cap off the snorkel ports. Anybody done this recently? I mean in the last 10 yrs or less?

This is a more recent type of full face snorkel mask that I saw:
upload_2019-10-24_17-2-36.jpeg

With this mask the exhaust is in front of your nose/mouth. The snorkels would be removed and capped. The valve below the main exhaust at the chin area could have an adapter for the 2nd stage regulator. There's other design wishes I'd want: UW comm.
Cost from AliExpress.com $30-35 free shipping as of 10/24/2019.

Any ideas?

I think there's a good reason there are engineers and extensive product testing.

So, if you think that making your own scuba gear is a bad idea, maybe hang out in other forums? There's plenty of whining and complaining in Thumbs Down, for instance.

About modifying the full face snorkel, I'm thinking they designed it so the fresh incoming air is channeled so that it keeps the mask clear, so you may not want to circumvent that feature. Maybe it would be possible to connect a regulator to one of the snorkel openings and block off the other? I'd be interested in seeing how the air is routed.

Vintage double hose full face mask hybrid?

The valve below the main exhaust at the chin area could have an adapter for the 2nd stage regulator.

You're blocking off the exhaust for an intake. You're also blocking off the original intake. Instead of blocking off the original intakes, consider them for exhaust?

I think there's a good reason there are engineers and extensive product testing.

You're definitely in the wrong forum.

I just don’t think it’s designed for scuba type pressure or usage.

Vintage double hose full face mask hybrid?
Might be kind of awesome to use those 2 inputs for the two hoses... Maybe re purpose one of the exhausts for a DSV (certainly not have them function as exhausts that would ruin a major point of using a double hose reg).

Although I suspect you'll end up with quite high WOB... And I can't tell from that image if you'll be able to equalize at all.

I have had similar thoughts on that same mask.... Haven't tried anything yet though.
Ideas:
1. Use one snorkel inlet as your regulator port.
2. Add a ball valve in the other as your surface breathing valve.
3. Regulator exhaust valve would need plugged to ensure purging cleared the mask.

Hard to tell anymore without having it in hand.

Respectfully
James

The eye pocket is isolated from the nasal/oral pocket. How do you intend to equalize the eye pocket? Or clearing ears via valsalva?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom