DIY Full Face Mask for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you used a mask like that, I would suggest an adapter at the snorkel attach point to connect a semi rigid hose running down the side and put the second stage in a more traditional location. The closer your second stage diaphragm is to your exhaust valve the lower you can tune the cracking pressure without free flowing in unusual attitudes.
Another food for thought... How much will that flexible nose pocket act as a bellows (i.e. how much will it suck in before the second stage diaphragm is actuated, and how much will it bow out prior to the exhaust valve releasing)
Not to be Debbie Downer, just genuinely curious.
Side note, did you order a full face snorkel mask already? I'd love to see detailed pictures of the oral/nasal pocket and one way valving in one.
v/r
James
Ordered mask and shipping arrival target date is after Nov. 17th.

You MUST to have 2nd stage higher than exhaust valve, otherwise you will have constant freeflow.
And you should use 2nd stage without exhaust valve, or you must plug it up.
But using two 2nd stages together (left+right, or both connected on the top) will allow you to attach main tank and pony same time (or two sidemount tanks)
Thanks for you comments on plugging up the regs exhaust path.

I may divert my efforts to this full face mask that I found made in China. It's very cheap $30 U
SD + $22 shipping to get it within 3-7 days. The nose pocket is flexible enough to allow squeezing your nose to clear your ears. Just have to evaluate it for the rest of it's features or cons. Have to figure out how to add my Buddy phone mic and add a breathing valve when on the surface if you don't want to take off your mask.

Yikes . . .

Do you have any idea the level of engineering that goes into a full-face mask -- both for equalization purposes; for field of vision; steps, including valves, to minimize the accumulation -- and to ensure the venting of CO2? Some, like mine, which fully isolate the nose and mouth, are even over-pressurized, to ensure watertightness in suspect waters; that, and to further air exchange. Should the inner volume of a given mask be much above 0.5 liters, the risk of CO2 accumulation becomes heightened..

Even so, full face masks require a reasonable amount of maintenance, to keep in working order. Should mine ever have an issue, I can easily remove the mask; turn off the flow, with a flick of a switch; don a conventional mask carried in my BC pocket; and use a bail out bottle . . .

Any contingency plans?

Darwin Awards. Chlorinating The Gene Pool.

Attachments

• IMG_1928.JPG
    IMG_1928.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1929.JPG
    IMG_1929.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 86
The eyes are still isolated from the nasal pocket. Good luck equalizing mask squeeze. Please have a buddy take pics of your eyeballs exiting their orbits.

Best to start from scratch.

The eyes are still isolated from the nasal pocket. Good luck equalizing mask squeeze. Please have a buddy take pics of your eyeballs exiting their orbits.

Best to start from scratch.

Attachments

• total-recall-bulge-eyes-300.jpg
    total-recall-bulge-eyes-300.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 105
This is NOT meant to be an ad for this manufacturer but...
Here's the link to click since I'm getting PM's asking where I found the Full Face Mask:
Scuba Gear Sucba Goggles High Quality Ocean Reef Snorkel Mask - Buy Ocean Reef Snorkel Mask,Scuba Diving Mask,Easybreath Snorkel Product on Alibaba.com

Pardon their spelling mistakes on the Alibaba.com website. I ordered my clear silicone full face mask yesterday. It seems that they need to make some corrections as to how they are advertising this FFM.

Be aware of the size you need, I got photos with a tape measure in Centimeters instead of imperial measurements. They only had the clear FFM in a medium size, the XS seemed too small for my face. Tried to order one in clear Medium and one in black Medium but they are out of stock on the black. I asked them to alert me when the Large size comes available again. Meanwhile I'm waiting to get the medium size FFM for a trial fit before I give up on my DIY FFM project. $65 is what I spent for the mask and shipping.

This other FFM silicone mask $89 + $15shipping I found on EBAy may be worth a look too:
IST - FULL FACE Black Silicone Scuba DIVING MASK for COLD, Polluted WATER | eBay

Any contingency plans?
Yes, reusing my original scuba mask and snorkel that I plan to have in my large BCD pocket. I plan to try out this mask in a pool with lots of bailout practice before I use it in the ocean.

I'll use my gopro on a selfie stick to see how bugged eyed I get. Good idea.

Recently I got the urge to buy a snorkeling full face mask and modify it....

Are the materials and construction of the snorkeling mask suitable for the depths you intend to dive?

My thoughts. If you have experience using a FFM, you’ll have some idea what features you might want/need your final project to have (I have never used one so I am useless on that score). Second some tourist boats have started banning this type of mask for snorkelers. I would read up on why that is happening (my understanding is there has been an increased incidence of drowning). What are your contingency plans in the event of catastrophic failure? A bunngeed octo would be wise.

TBH, I look at those snorkel masks and wonder why anyone would want use one, to my eye they don’t look safe. I get the “I wonder if can do it” spirit, and if you want to experiment in a pool, good luck. If I were a boat captain I would never let it on board. EVER.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom