DIY Goodman handle for an light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drakcheslav

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I use an Omer Stardust XL light, which is an awesome light, long battery, 1200 lumen, 3h autonomy,

And I was looking for a goodman handle to fit it, and most of the soft ones looked not so secure, and like the light would fall out of it. While I wasn't able to find an universal rigid one, which didn't cost insane amounts.

So I decided to cobble up something from an old Go Pro hand mount which was broken.
I filed down the mounts to be flush and then indented it a bit.

Around the light I placed two pieced of bike tubes, one folded double and one over it.

And used a 50-70mm hose clamp (woudl work better with a 30-50mm, but this is all I had and I couldn't have been fussed to go and find one smaller. So i bent it into a holder.

And I like how it sits on the hand. You can use it on both left and right.

As a first solution I like it, until I find someone with a CNC machine who is willing to make me a rigid one that I can then use as an universal goodman handle.

Some pics:
IMG_20200617_201720.jpg
IMG_20200617_201725.jpg

Interesting solution. Using the soft Goodman handle how do you remove it and replace it underwater with one hand. I have a soft Goodman handle I use and I find it difficult to do, easy to take off but putting back on is difficult.

Interesting solution. Using the soft Goodman handle how do you remove it and replace it underwater with one hand. I have a soft Goodman handle I use and I find it difficult to do, easy to take off but putting back on is difficult.
Not easy at all, the reason I tend to carry my light in my right hand, which is more stationary, since I use my left to control buoyancy and check the gauges.

I can use this one, if I don't tighten it, but then it flops around a bit, if I tighten it it's nice and controlable, but it;s hard to don and doff it under water, hence I use it on my right hand.

This is a temporary solution untill I find a place to make a rigid one. which I can use as an universal one.

I have something in mind, which will have swappable bases based on the diameter of the lights, and use a hose clamp to hold the light. So I can use it even when I get a bigger one.

A number of years back a SB member designed and had made up a bunch of universal hard Goodman handles. Might search the archives for it for ideas.

Can't find his username anymore...

Something like;. 00Wabbit

With 3-d printers, a mount shouldn't be difficult.

These were aluminum.

That looks quite nice. A bit complicated, but nice.

I was thinking something a bit simpler.

Not easy at all, the reason I tend to carry my light in my right hand, which is more stationary, since I use my left to control buoyancy and check the gauges.

The problem with having the light on the right is blinding an OOG diver if you stick it in his face while donating a reg, which is why it is normally carried on the left and switched temporarily if you need to dump gas or something with the left hand.

Back
Top Bottom