DIY HID canister: Does anyone own a Light Cannon and a D4?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lairdb

Contributor
Reaction score
I can't believe this is a new thought, but I couldn't turn up anything.

The LC and the C4 bezels are identical. The general idea is to make a canister light out of the LC guts in the simplest (least fabrication) way possible.

Generally:
  1. Parts: an LC ($159) and a C4 ($29), two cable glands, one waterproof switch, cable.

2. Drill the C4 bezel, right in front, for the gland and the switch; install.
  3. Use the battery plate from the back of the D4 at the front of the LC main body to combine the fronts of the batteries into 12v. (Important note -- this will require severing one of the two bridges, after which you should have your 12v on each side of that severed bridge.) You'll stretch the springs, or install a bulkhead/shim, to get them to press firmly when you...
  4. Assemble the LC body, LC battery plate, batteries, modified C4 battery plate, modified C4 bezel. This is your canister.

5. Drill the back of the C4 body for the other cable gland.
  6. Mechanically or electrically, "permanently" actuate the LC's real switch.
  7. Wire the cable to the LC module's power inputs.
  8. Assemble the LC bezel, LC lamp module, D4 body. This is your lighthead.

Functional cannister style 10W HID for $200, and (though we totally thrashed the C4) the LC parts are unmodified* and can be reassembled into a stock LC at any time if desired.

I have an LC on evaluation, but don't have a C4 at the same time to check what I think is the one critical question: will the LC light module fit well into the C4 housing? From picture comparison, it would appear the C4 switch actuator won't work; one could leave it, or remove it and seal it up. (Sealing this could simultaneously be how you mount a goodman handle, incidentally.) You might need to shim/brace the LC module a bit, from the back, to keep it from rattling around, but you probably want to do that anyway to keep it from bumping the cable gland/cable.

You could also put a rechargable pack into the "canister", or just use it as designed, with alkalines.

Aside from it's relative uglitude, I can't see what I'm missing.

--Laird

(* "unmodified" for certain values of unmodified: depends on how you close the switch and how you attach power to the LC module. Both could be done fully reversibly.)

(Aaargh aargh aargh -- I wrote "D4" everyplace in this when I first posted it, where I really meant "C4". The C4 has the same bezel, threading, etc. as the LC.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom