DIY lightweight Goodman strap.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suggestions? Yeah, don't.

If you're married to the idea of a soft goodman handle, get the Oxycheq Light Raider light sock. Every other soft goodman handle sucks. Even better is a hard goodman handle, because you can easily switch hands to complete tasks without having terrible light discipline.

I am going to try just using a 1" belt slide with a 1" velcro strap.

hi im curious about the raider light sock.. there are apparently 3 kinds.. Raider 1&2 , Raider 3&4 and a Universal. which one for a dgx600?

Orcatorch makes a couple of soft goodman handle torch mounts that are adjustable and sized well for use with wet or drygloves. They are quite inexpensive, selling for between $10 and $20 depending on the site purchased from. Here is a link to their accessories page showing the 2 they have:
Accessories for OrcaTorch Dive Lights

Additionally:
Take a look at post #23 in the following discussion thread for my stab at making a goodman handle. Even though it worked fine with the long torch in the picture, I swapped it out for a much shorter orcatorch D550 and it works great:

Carrying both primary and back-up lights.

I have been using it to great affect for a number of months now. My only problem is that I find it more likely to shine my torch in my dive partners eyes when night night diving as the light shines in the direction I point my hand or signal....this is just something one has to develop a sense of self-discipline about to avoid doing.

Good luck with whatever design you choose to make or buy.

-Z

hi im curious about the raider light sock.. there are apparently 3 kinds.. Raider 1&2 , Raider 3&4 and a Universal. which one for a dgx600?

For a DGX600, you want the biggest one (the 1/2, I think). The Universal one sucks.

Orcatorch makes a couple of soft goodman handle torch mounts that are adjustable and sized well for use with wet or drygloves. They are quite inexpensive, selling for between $10 and $20 depending on the site purchased from. Here is a link to their accessories page showing the 2 they have:
Accessories for OrcaTorch Dive Lights

Additionally:
Take a look at post #23 in the following discussion thread for my stab at making a goodman handle. Even though it worked fine with the long torch in the picture, I swapped it out for a much shorter orcatorch D550 and it works great:

Carrying both primary and back-up lights.

I have been using it to great affect for a number of months now. My only problem is that I find it more likely to shine my torch in my dive partners eyes when night night diving as the light shines in the direction I point my hand or signal....this is just something one has to develop a sense of self-discipline about to avoid doing.

Good luck with whatever design you choose to make or buy.

-Z

Just my opinion here: The ones on that OT page are the "universal" style and they suck. I have one. The way the strap works that goes around your palm and then velcros back on itself makes it where it really only works for one size of hand. On the other hand, I think it's Dive Rite that makes a "universal" one that looks almost identical to the OrcaTorch one. But, the Dive Rite one has a different strap and adjuster arrangement that makes it where it seems like it would work just fine.

My other thought is that a hard Goodman handle goes well with a can light - because of the cord on the can light. The Goodman handle is secure on your hand but also easy to remove when needed. The cord on the light head ensures that if you happen to drop it, you don't lose it.

For a cordless light, I personally feel a little better about having it held in such a way that it is not so easy for it to come off of my hand - since if it were to come off accidentally, I could lose it. So, for a cordless light, I would generally stick to a soft option, like the Oxycheq Raider.

@CaveSloth ,
You posted your question in the wrong place. We have a DIY forum here:
Do It Yourself - DIY

I will agree that a soft handle is less useful than a hard one though. If you can make your strap stiff and easy to remove / replace, you'll be happier I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom