DIY - My first P-weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Utilizing lead casting information that I could find, I’ve just made my first P-weight. I made and used an oak mold and inserted 5/16-18 flanged nuts embedded in the lead for attachment. This P-weight is 3/8 thick by 13 inches long and weighs 3 pounds 8 ounces, which was my desired target size & weight.

Mold & P-weight
C0A3DE72-FADF-426E-8948-38F56B2B46BB.jpeg
1FBE14D8-8421-4F4C-80EB-7DFACE42D292.jpeg

P-weight
B19CCECE-AA73-4042-8BE2-F8C4D1DA79E7.jpeg

My DIY learnings may be of help if you want to try it yourself.

I learned from @michael-fisch that it is helpful to keep the lead surface hot with a torch to prevent sink marks and create a relatively smooth surface. This worked extremely well, but I was surprised how long i had torch the surface, as it took longer than I expected for the lead to cool off/solidify.

The oak mold worked well molding my P-weight, but using a torch as mentioned chars the exposed wood as you can see in the pictures.. Otherwise my wood mold could have been used for multiple pours. (Thank goodness I only wanted one.)

I created the mold using three pieces of oak fitted together. The interface between these pieces of wood caused some small leaks and bubbles coming up through the mold while it cooled off. A one piece wood mold would have eliminated these issues and saved me the time required to remove the excess lead at the interface.

I melted my lead using a little Coleman stove and and handheld propane torch. Upon melting the lead, I fluxed the lead with sawdust and removed the impurities that were on the molten lead surface just before pouring.

For mold set up, I added three screws leveling the mold which worked well and also used them to further level the lead after pouring.

If anyone more knowledgeable in molding P-weights, feel free to add your DIY advice/recommendations too.

Fun little project, but you must love doing things like this, as it took a bit of time.

Looks slick. Maybe think about popping out the nuts and drill out a pocket for wingnuts. Looks like it's going to work awesome for you.

For a mould like that with cracks, you can line it with aluminum foil. That keeps the lead out of the grooves and the water in the wood from boiling through the lead as well. The foil peels off fine later. the wood will still char

The following sketch shows how the flanged hex nut was held in my mold.

564CC4A7-4C77-4A8C-BC48-4716F9C818C1.jpeg

A hex head bolt was used to suspend the flanged hex nut in the mold. A (regular) hex nut was screwed on top of the flanged hex nut to prevent molten lead from getting in the threads of the flanged hex nut.

Once the lead was cast, then the hex nut was removed and the hex head bolt was unscrewed, which was very tight. If I was to repeat this setup, I’d screw the flanged hex nut down to the bottom of the threads on the hex head bolt to prevent molding threads in the lead. Since I did mold threads in the lead I had to run a thread tap through the lead to remove excess lead.

Are you affixing this to doubles or a single? I'm a little confused by the threaded holes and where this is attaching

Are you affixing this to doubles or a single? I'm a little confused by the threaded holes and where this is attaching
Single tank and mounted on the diver side of the back plate. (No STA)

Single tank and mounted on the diver side of the back plate. (No STA)
Ok so the threaded holes are to bolt it onto the plate.

I have a weighted STA, plus pouches on the cam bands.

Back
Top Bottom