DIY Reg Adjustment Tools and Gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbzep

Contributor
Reaction score
What size latex tubing is used for the band seals on mouthpiece adapters?
I've made a small test stand to hold my Magnahelic and IP gauge and have everything ready except the mouthpiece adapter. The OTS Guardian 2nd stage I've just serviced has a round 1.25" tube. Will 3/4" I.D. latex stretch over regular oval regulator mouthpieces and the round OTS tube?

Not exactly. I asked about the diameter latex needed to fit over the regulator in August so I'd know what size latex tubing to buy to make my own mouthpiece adapter. It cost me a whopping $4 for the latex tubing and I used some scrap pvc and vinyl tubing to finish up my home brewed test stand.

Last edited:
Measure it carefully and you can use this to calculate an approximate circumferance: Ellipse Circumference Calculator
It's been done for over a month. I've already serviced our OTC Guardians, which are round, and I've heated some pvc and shaped it to use on normal regulators when the time comes to service them. I purchased two feet of 1" latex tubing on ebay to make the connections.

Hi, sounds like you've got it all figured out. I just figured I would share how I did it so that maybe someone else in a similar situation can use it.

I used a 1/2" PVC T, on the leg of the T you put in a PVC pipe plug, and then drill a hole in it to fit a brass fitting that works with the tubing you have going to your magnehelic. On one of the other sides you use a few inches of 1" surgical tubing that goes around the outside of the T and put a tie strap on there. That size fits standard regulators and it's snug enough that you can just slide it onto the reg and take it off without needing to secure it while you're testing. One the last open end I put a short piece of 1/2" PVC just because it made it easier to create suction when I was testing, but you can just as easily leave this piece out.

Hope that helps someone!

DSC08990.JPG

Hi, sounds like you've got it all figured out. I just figured I would share how I did it so that maybe someone else in a similar situation can use it.

I used a 1/2" PVC T, on the leg of the T you put in a PVC pipe plug, and then drill a hole in it to fit a brass fitting that works with the tubing you have going to your magnehelic. On one of the other sides you use a few inches of 1" surgical tubing that goes around the outside of the T and put a tie strap on there. That size fits standard regulators and it's snug enough that you can just slide it onto the reg and take it off without needing to secure it while you're testing. One the last open end I put a short piece of 1/2" PVC just because it made it easier to create suction when I was testing, but you can just as easily leave this piece out.

Hope that helps someone!

View attachment 383292
It will! Thank you for sharing.

Just for fun, I thought I'd make a list of my parts and cost.

Magnahelic - ebay $23 shipped
IP gauge - DGX $19. 50
1" latex tube x 2ft - ebay $4 shipped
1/4" clear tubing - in scrap box
1/4" npt barb - in tool box
pvc tube - in scrap box
wood for stand - in scrap pile
zip ties - in tool box

Compare that with the equivalent unit on Scuba Tools costing about $360 plus shipping.

My prices were similar.
Magnahelic - eBay
IP gauge - Local shop (in hindsight DGX would have been cheaper)
Surgical Tubing - By the foot (bought 2') from random website found through google
Some 2x6 scrap for the stand
Everything else - Home Depot plumbing department

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom