DIY reg rebuild

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thbcthomas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A buddy and I are getting ready to start rebuilding our regs. Our current regs are scubapro mk10/d350, mk20/g500, conshelf 14 sets. Does anyone have files, diagrams, schematics, etc... to help us rebuild these regs? Are there any specialty tools that will make the rebuilds easier (@herman I believe made a speciality tool), or do we just need the basic tools found in a good tool set? I plan on getting a compact IP gague from dgx and possibly a spanner wrench. Where is the best place to get parts kits? Thanks for the help.

Also If someone has an idea for a tool that doesn't exist that would help in the rebuilding a certain regulator, my buddy works at a place that allows him to have engineers build prototypes.

Go to vintagedublehose.com

At the bottom click on manuals and catalogs. You will find service manuals and diagrams there. There also a lot of videos on servicing too.

At the top, click on store for service kits and parts.

If you have your own workshop tools, you pretty much can service your regs. Reading the service manuals you will see if there are any tools you don't have that you will need. Get the IP gauge. Some specialty tools you can do without but do make the job just a little easier.

If you have never done reg servicing before, I strongly suggest getting the books:

Regulator Savvy by Pete Wolfinger
and/or
Regulator Maintenance and Repair by Vance Harlow

divestock also has a collection of manual/schematics. the conshelf 14 has a circlip that a pair of small circlip pliers helps with. for scubapro, you want the bullet for installing the piston shaft oring, face spanner for hp seat carrier, and adjustable pin spanner for the ambient chamber. also need the yoke socket if you have yoke regs.

A buddy and I are getting ready to start rebuilding our regs. Our current regs are scubapro mk10/d350, mk20/g500, conshelf 14 sets. Does anyone have files, diagrams, schematics, etc... to help us rebuild these regs? Are there any specialty tools that will make the rebuilds easier (@herman I believe made a speciality tool), or do we just need the basic tools found in a good tool set? I plan on getting a compact IP gague from dgx and possibly a spanner wrench. Where is the best place to get parts kits? Thanks for the help.
For manuals this page is very useful https://www.scubaservicemanuals.com/
for tools and parts you can visit our site O-rings and parts for Scubapro scuba gear .

hope this will help you Tcbcthomas

sterlingseal.com and theoringstore.com are two other sources for orings in bulk. i have used both before.

for the parts kits, the conshelf and mk10/g500, you can get from VDH. the mk20 you will have to get aftermarket or grey market from ebay. or find a way to get them from europe or maybe @buddhasummer.

divestock also has a collection of manual/schematics. the conshelf 14 has a circlip that a pair of small circlip pliers helps with. for scubapro, you want the bullet for installing the piston shaft oring, face spanner for hp seat carrier, and adjustable pin spanner for the ambient chamber. also need the yoke socket if you have yoke regs.
Store | Vintage Double Hose
That bullet tool?

I find this tool very useful:
Scubapro Multi-Tool, Brass Chrome

I also like this o-ring pick quite a bit for removing the small piston high pressure o-ring:
O'ring Pick, Double Hook, Blue Plastic Handle

Overall that is a great place to get tools for working on SP regulators. The guy that used to own it, Peter Wolfinger, wrote a classic book called regulator savvy and was a design engineer at SP. I don't know what scubatools staus is these days, it's been quite a few years since I've ordered anything from them.

If you buy this (and you should.)

Read this (before buying.) Upgrading the Scuba Pro Multi-Tool

If you buy this (and you should.)
I also like this o-ring pick quite a bit for removing the small piston high pressure o-ring:
O'ring Pick, Double Hook, Blue Plastic Handle

Read this: How to use a Double Hook Pick

Shipping from Scuba Tools is expensive, so look at everything while your there and purchase anything you may need later in one order.

While you are reading, read the attached file.

Somewhere take a break from reading, and watch all of the regulator service/rebuild videos from Vintage Double Hose.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/Vintagedoublehose1964/videos

Attachments

• A Beginner’s Guide to Scuba Regulators.pdf
    45.6 KB · Views: 115
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom