DIY Regulator Maintenance Discussion: MARES

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure the MR22 is a great first stage. However, when you are rebuilding it, converting it to din, and adding a cold water kit I get the feeling it would be cheaper to sell it and buy a new first stage with everything already done. You can still reuse the second stages. You can try and give Scubaspares a try, I think they may have some Mares parts.

I would have to buy the Mares MR22 Navy DIN to get the din and cwd kit already on it and a quick look showed me that it would be a very special order part from a dealer in the US, not online anywhere at all that I could see even in a yoke much less a DIN connection and its always sold with the abyss 2nd attached.

The CWD kit and DIN conversion for what I have cost about $150 and I have found several places to order them. I don't even need to do both at once, I would put off the DIN until I could afford an HP steel tank. This year the rebuilds and maybe the CWD are more important.

Looked at scubaspares for parts but they only have a very few basic rebuild kits for other models.

I was thinking more of buying a HOG or an Apeks first with the cold water kit, DIN fitting, and which does not need rebuilding. For example a HOG D2 is $125 at Cave Adventurers, you will need to hunt around a bit more for the Apeks.

My only other suggestion is to call John at Northeast Scuba Supply and see if he can help you. He is a Mares dealer and may have a solution for your needs.

After a little homework you have me seriously almost sold on just ditching my MR22/ABYSS/Proton setup and going with a D3/Zenith/Zenith setup.
I will take this elsewhere so as not to pull the thread further off track, but I can say the #1 consideration I have in the switch is that parts are easily available online even to people who haven't taken their service course, which I can't because I don't have any technical certifications.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I was actually hunting around for a 1st stage diaphragm for my MR22 2000 when I found that.
I have managed to find the rebuild kits for my MR22, the abyss 2nd, the proton octo and the tri material 1st stage HP seat with matched poppet all sold genuine new (I think) from northeast scuba supply for cheap enough that I am not going to scrounge together generic kits, but the damn diaphragm is still giving me trouble. Oddly enough I found a 2nd stage diaphragm fairly easy though I don't expect I will need that, (or maybe I will, how long do they last?)
EDITED: Too bad I don't live in the EU, here is the part I need:
Mares DIAPHRAGM 1STAGE. Regulators Spare parts, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, dive.

Would you mind sharing where you found the 2nd stage diaphragm?

I need one for an older MR12 second stage which is the same as the current abyss diaphragm.

Call the guy at northeast scuba, for some daffy reason he doesn't stock the diaphragms but will order you whatever you want (get part numbers ahead of time). The stuff actually listed on the site is just what he has bothered to list, so he could order you the 1st stage rebuild kit for that too.
http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/mares-service-kits/

EDIT: I never actually was looking for a second stage diaphragm, they only get replaced if they have issues and mine are fine, the 1st stage diaphragm is an every other year part and mine is like 10 years old now and flipped once already so its a bit overdue.

And if any Mares reps read this I would have dumped your brand already for a HOG reg set if not for the guy at northeast scuba selling parts so don't interfere with him.

There seems to be plenty of discussions for ScubaPro reg maintenance, I thought I would share what I am doing with some other brands. Doing this right without having to hunt down OEM service kits, Replacement parts...etc. I have a bunch of MARES Regs so I will start there. Please feel free to add to the thread, correct me, or otherwise participate. As usual...standard disclaimer, I am not responsible for anything that happens as a result of you reading this. I only want to share what I am doing, not give you instructions for you to use to injure or kill yourself. Do so at your own risk.

I will make a separate post for each section of info. More diagrams coming soon

At the moment I will not be doing a step by step how to because that is easily covered in the fine publications by Airspeed press and Scuba Tools. They are great books, worth the money, get them. Support the people who are making a lot of the DIY activities possible.

~Chris

Any suggestions on removing a MR-22 HP Seat? Not the Poppet but the actual seat?

20201112_185155.jpg
20201112_185216.jpg

I'm very aware that this thread is old, but, the title of it is exactly what I am looking for help with, and, I searched for Mares Instinct service/disassembly/rebuild but couldn't find anything in other threads.

I was hoping someone could tell me how to open the shell of this regulator - Mares Instinct.

I have an idea, but do not want to force anything

I tried to google and find other sources of info, manuals, but couldn't find a guide on how to open the outer shell

pics attached.

thanks in advance

View attachment 623801 View attachment 623802

I'm very aware that this thread is old, but, the title of it is exactly what I am looking for help with, and, I searched for Mares Instinct service/disassembly/rebuild but couldn't find anything in other threads.

I was hoping someone could tell me how to open the shell of this regulator - Mares Instinct.

I have an idea, but do not want to force anything

I tried to google and find other sources of info, manuals, but couldn't find a guide on how to open the outer shell

pics attached.

thanks in advance
See attached.

Attachments

• mares_instinct_manual.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 142
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom