DIY scuba Hookah

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a common misconception that hookah compressors are somehow different than other compressors. They are not. Every commercially available, recreational-level hookah rig is based on a compressor that was designed for another purpose. It is true that these hookahs use oil-less compressors, but these are again, very common and not specifically designed for hookahs. Further, the large diesel compressors typically used in commercial hard hat dive operations are not oil-less, but use a special oil that is not harmful when used in surface supplied air equipment.

I'm glad that this post was recently bumped. :cool2: I've been doing a lot of research into snuba/hookah diving. I'm not certified and anything i do know now has been from research over the last few days. I'd like to put together a rig, like corey said. Only thing is, i wouldnt be going any deeper than 10 feet. It'd be for repairing the bottom of my pool, and tooling around in it. As well as tooling around in the lagoon at my shore house which is no more than 10 feet deep at high tide. I was going to use a new porter cable compressor i have which is 150psi max 5 gallon tank 3.5 cfm. oilless, with an inline 5 micron filter. and pick up a 2nd stage reg. Apart from a rubbery/plasticy taste from the hose and not using this set up for extended periods of time or that much at all, will i be ok with it? I'm not going to spend 1200+ on a keene hookah system that i'd use less times in a year than i have fingers.

I was going to use a new porter cable compressor i have which is 150psi max 5 gallon tank 3.5 cfm. oilless, with an inline 5 micron filter. and pick up a 2nd stage reg. Apart from a rubbery/plasticy taste from the hose... will i be ok with it?

Never, ever use pneumatic tool hose as breathing hose.

Keep in mind that the T80 compressors sold by Keene are a diaphragm compressor that isolates the air from the rest of the compressor. I started diving in the late 70's with one of those and a 2 stroke lawnmower engine on PVC floats that doubled as backup air. Yep, I used air tool hose and a regular (old second hand) scuba regulator. I would be worried less about inlet air filtration than keeping the CO out of the inlet air. I don't think a carbon filter will save you from carbon monoxide.

Keep in mind that the T80 compressors sold by Keene are a diaphragm compressor that isolates the air from the rest of the compressor. I started diving in the late 70's with one of those and a 2 stroke lawnmower engine on PVC floats that doubled as backup air. Yep, I used air tool hose and a regular (old second hand) scuba regulator. I would be worried less about inlet air filtration than keeping the CO out of the inlet air. I don't think a carbon filter will save you from carbon monoxide.

He's not using a gas-powered compressor, Keene or otherwise.

Never, ever use pneumatic tool hose as breathing hose.

someone on this forum mentioned a food grade quality hose, what is that and where i would i find one? 25' in length preferably.

So would a compressor for air tools actually work? Also how do you regulate the IP pressure?

So would a compressor for air tools actually work? Also how do you regulate the IP pressure?

My compressor has a built in regulator thats spot on accurate adjustable 0-150 psi. Wouldn't that serve as appropriate regulation of IP? I see most 2nd stage use a max of 145ish psi.

My compressor has a built in regulator thats spot on accurate adjustable 0-150 psi. Wouldn't that serve as appropriate regulation of IP? I see most 2nd stage use a max of 145ish psi.

If it is adjustable and accurate I don't see why it would not work. The recommended IP is usually 135 +/- 10 psi so it would work. I would assume their is not a huge drop in IP in inhalation. What would worry me is the air quality. I would be worried about rust in the tank and breathing it in. You may want to think about an Apollo bio filter.

Back
Top Bottom