DIY ScubaPro Quick Disconnect fitting for an IP gauge.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
DIY ScubaPro Quick Disconnect fitting for an IP gauge.

I was in the hardware store recently looking for God knows what and passed by the pneumatic fittings aisle when something familiar caught my eye.
IMG_0002.JPG
Hmmmm, that looks an awful lot like a ScubaPro Q.D. fitting, but has a ¼ NPT female end. That would be perfect for converting an inexpensive low pressure gauge into and IP gauge without all those damn adapters and reducers.

Well, not quite. The outside diameter of the fitting was a little too large to insert into the SP QD, so a few minutes of play time on the grinder and a couple of inches of Teflon tape sorted it out nicely.

Not bad for less than $5 for two.

Couv

IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 108
What is that particular quick-connect fitting used for? I have a standard BC quick-connect hose on all of my regulators and simply used a male connector and a short rubber hose and two hose clamps to make my IP gauge.

Aside from that, I'm surprised that ScubaPro uses a standard fitting. That was very nice of them. I have changed all of my air tool fittings over the years more than once so they are all the same. Hopefully some day they will finally settle on one.

What is that particular quick-connect fitting used for? I have a standard BC quick-connect hose on all of my regulators and simply used a male connector and a short rubber hose and two hose clamps to make my IP gauge.

Aside from that, I'm surprised that ScubaPro uses a standard fitting. That was very nice of them. I have changed all of my air tool fittings over the years more than once so they are all the same. Hopefully some day they will finally settle on one.

That is a standard air coupling quick disconnect with 1/4 npt threads.

You are correct-ScubaPro does NOT use the standard size. I had to grind down two areas.
1. The lip that engages with the ball bearings.
2. The outside diameter of the fitting that goes into the SP female fitting.

SP IP gauge fitting modification.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom