DIY SP reg service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgmontgomery

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Is there a "package" that I could buy that contains instructions & tools needed for DIY service? I'm going with all SP Mk25/G250s if that matters. The tool kit (kit form would be nice, but a list would do) is important, but instructions are invaluable! I've never serviced a reg before, so I need step-by-step instructions...it IS like support gear after all!
I've seen a couple of DVDs for sale (eBay) that claim to have instructions for most major brands, but I'm skeptical.
Any thoughts on a great guide to servicing (SP) gear & tool kit?
Thanks!

FWIW-I was thinking of buying an old SP reg off of ebay just to play with/tear apart & put back together. I figured I should get some time on a reg that won't be able to kill me!

Those DVD contains a number of documents collected over the years and got here and there. They are mainly the schematic diagrams, and some maintenance manuals. Most are available along the internet
For example if you google for "mk20 repair guide" the very first results point to pdf documents from scubapro hosted somewhere. These are the same contained in those DVD ... The DVD saves you the time to collect them all for most of the brands ...
What is missing from those documents, is how to proceed and what do or worse not to do while servicing any mechanical apparatus - sometimes you need special equipment like torque wrench, whose value is specified in the technical documents above mentioned.
If you are experienced with those kind of tasks, probably you are halfway - just a couple hours with a technician on specific brand model and you can keep servicing it for years to come...
Don't forget that you breath from them, so, even they are inherently very reliable by design, there always something that, if not properly serviced, can leave you in trouble.

I kinda' firgured that. I'm fairly handy & have "normal" tools, but I def'ly need specific info like torque values. I saw a SP svc guide for Mk20/25 online & felt ok with it. I'd still rather practice on a beater off of fleaBay just to get a feel for what's what.
I assume that I'll need speciality tools & a "how to" guide.
I've thought of sitting in on a reg service (I did years ago but d/n remember much) too, but IDK who'd let me. The owner of my LDS is a nice guy, but he d/n sell SP.
Thanks!

Fine, don't forget a bit of oxygen compatible grease for o-rings (they don't need a lot, just to be dirtied with it - sorry I'm not English mother tongue and I mean a thin veil of grease).
Once I saw a very clever method to lubricate watches' o-ring: using a condom - the o-ring inside the condom and a little rub from external, but condom lubricant is not O2 compatible :) you cannot use them for regulators' o-rings.

Actually, what to grease, what kind (Si, Christolube etc.) & how much to use are questions I need answered, too! I'd hoped to find a book/DVD with all of this info PLUS how to "seal" the first stage. Baisically a "How to..." step by step guide, & I still need tools.
I have a good idea how to do this, but I don't trust "a good idea" with my life!
Thanks!

Go on Scubatools.com, and purchase the text they sell....
read it, read it, read it....
research this forum for many good tidbits and resources....
decide from there how to proceed....

Thanks! The book looks perfect...exactly what I want! The tools...egads! I don't know where to begin! I guess that I'll start with the book.
Any idea (anyone) what ESSENTIAL non-standard (what one would expect to find in most tool boxes) tools are needed to service SP Mk25 (DIN), G250 & AA SS1?
Thanks a lot!!

There is a 3 disk DVD that Scubapro produces that walks you through the rebuild of all of their first and second stages. They give it to technicians when they go through the service class. Occasionally they pop up on eBay so keep a eye out for it. Or if your in good with a scubapro tech, borrow theirs.

Back
Top Bottom