DIY SP reg service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unc-I'll bet you're correct. "We" are quite litigious!
ws-I just saw this: Maintenance Kit Scubapro MK25/AF/SA/T

Does anyone know what functions the Scubapro univeral tool does? This one:
Scubapro Universal Tool

I'm looking for the SP 3 DVD set, but no luck yet. I found a DVD in the UK that promises step-by-step instructions but think it's probably stuff off of frogkick.

Thanks to EVERYONE!!

Regarding the SP Unv'al tool: I found a function list.
Similar, in some ways, to the Scubatools multi tool I guess?

This is similar to the regulator technician class that Halls Diving Institute in FL advertise. I will first state I have not been in either class. But I did look into the Halls class. They say that when your finished, your a certified regulator technician. But when I called them and asked questions, they finally admitted after a lot of run around that your certified with Halls and not with a regulator manufacturer. The main stream manufacturers don't recognize the training and you still can't buy the service kits. It looks like the same with UTD except your "certified" on their rebranded regs only. Buyer beware. Just FYI, Spare air and OTS Guardian will teach anyone via online classes. Dive rite express and north east scuba supply will sell you service kits.

Thanks for the info! According to their site, there's a second class (1-on-1 but no $$ specified) that follows; it, they claim, DOES make you a "real" tech w/ access to parts.
One thing in particular caught my attention: they are teaching you to work on " their"gear? I assume that many regs are the same & that skills for one brand carry over to others, but still...
Thanks!

For the Mk25 and 250 minimum.

Scubatools multitool Scubapro Multi-Tool, Aluminum

MK 25 tool. Scubapro Mk20/Mk25 Assembly Tool

Set of Allen wrenches

Adjustable or a set of general wrenches.

Set of screw drivers.

A set of picks.

IP gauge

Christolube or similar O2 compatible

Online schematics and repair guides.

This book. SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Vance Harlow

Also consider this First Stage Handle, Heavy Duty, Brass

If you have a yoke stage I would add a yoke socket.

I also like Scubatools inline adjusting tool but for one second stage it is definitely not necessary.Dual Drive Inline Adjusting Tool

The hard part will be the actual service kits.
You can also DIY some of the tools. The $34 First Stage Handle can be replaced by a bolt. I got one for free from a local industrial supplier.

Yeah...I looked at several tools with an eye toward DIY. My body tool plan was 2 bolts, a piece of metal rod & some JB Weld. Cover tool? Wood/plastic & a (penny) nail.

uncfnp-I do well, too, but would feel a lot better if I do a couple of "throw aways." I'll probably buy something off of eBay to play with/experiment on BEFORE I do mine.
Thank very much for all of your help!

If you are going to et a practice reg make sure to get one that is like the one you are getting. the mk20 and 15 I think is very much like the mk25, I don't know about the 10. food for thought

kws-Certainly true; I'd (at least) make sure the "practice reg" is a piston.
I've owned Mk15, 20 & 25 1st stages. From what I understand, the 15 is similar to the 20, & the 20 is basically a 25.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom