DIY SP reg service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No...it is not open to the general public, thus you need to hookup with a SP vendor so they can sponsor you. But if you are going thru all this effort just to repair you own regs, why not go to an SP course?

OB-true enough. My problem with that is that I'm kind of new to the area. My LDS (#1 & 2) are not SP dealers. There is a SP that's not too far, but they don't know me. I doubt they'd let me tag along.
Kind of a moot point; I'm helping to care for a 92 yo with dementia & doubt that I'll be able to make it to Vegas.
I certainly appreciate the suggestion though...it's a great idea.

SP also does training throughout the country...but again you have to be sponsored thru a shop. :(

i am curious:
A) do the manufacturer training courses include sessions covering the theory of operation of various designs of regulators?

OR:

B) do they just teach you how to dissasemble, parts swap, reassemble and test?

I have the service manuals for my Sherwood regs and they only address B above (i already understood A, so no issue for me). Do the sevice courses simply cover the material in the service manual?

Part of my curiosity comes from my last run in with a service tech who refused to believe that my reg first stage was designed to leak air. It was obvious that the tech had no understanding of the operational theory of the reg. they were merely a parts swapper.

Most factory classes will just go over the materials in the service manual. Some will go over a little operational theory and trouble shooting. Remember they are usually limited to one or two days to review the entire product line so they are usually rushed for time. As for the technician, they are only as good as the amount of education they want to put into it. Most shop techs are doing this as as secondary task along with instructing or being on the sales floor. They don't want to take the time or effort to educate themselves past what they learned in the technician class.

Question about the "practice" reg: I found an older Aqua Lung 1st & 2nd on CL; I'm not yet sure of the exact models, but...
If it's a piston 1st does it really matter that it's not a SP? I assume (yikes!) that many/most are quite similar anyway.
You know...when I think of the things that I once paid people to do for me, I wonder if I had more $$ than brains! I did my brakes a few months ago...~$30 in parts. That's A LOT less than $150 per axle AND I know that it was done correctly.
I c/n wait to DIY my gear!

FWIW-it looks like the 2nd has Conshelf written on the purge button.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom