DIY T-Top extension - cheap shade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chiung

Contributor
Reaction score
Less than $50 for the frame materials and about $25 for the actual top material, which I am getting made in a red/white dive flag design. The frame material is 1" pvc and 7/8" and 3/4" aluminum bimini tubing. The frame slides out or stows away kind of like a trombone action. Very lightweight and plenty sturdy. I'll post some more pictures when I actually have the top material up.

7dc2f01a.jpg

39269e9a.jpg

dedbc1d5.jpg

84c7e639.jpg

I had originally planned to use SS hose clamps to fasten the PVC T's to the T-top tubing, but they fit so snug that I will try w/o clamps for now. The PVC T's are cut open and snap onto the T-top tubing. There is 7/8" aluminum tubing running through the full length of the PVC, and the 3/4" aluminum slides within the 7/8". When fully extended (about 4') there is still 2' of 3/4" inside the 7/8" material. I will install some pins to lock the frame in the extended or stowed positions.

Hopefully will provide some needed shade.

The PVC is there to hold the 7/8" aluminum. The PVC T's just happen to clamp perfectly onto the existing T-top tubing.

fce91f55.jpg

b3515782.jpg

bd75bc32.jpg

I forgot to take some pics with it stowed, but it is pretty much out of the way and with a ball bungie around it should handle running fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom