DIY Tank strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kwjybo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello

I am moving over to a wing setup, and I was looking at buying parts piece by piece and assembling it myself (largely for learning, but also some minor cost savings). The only part that seems extremely overpriced is the tank straps - I find them online for $60 for a pair (and my LDS charges more) while I can get a ton of webbing and two SS buckles for a fraction of the price (this doesn't include the little wide rubber/plastic on the strap which typically has the logo - I am not sure what it is called, or if they are really necessary). I saw a video where it takes less than a minute to assemble the strap using the buckle and webbing.

My question is: is there something I am missing? Is there some reason why I am better off just buying the cam straps from a professional outfit? FYI: I plan to get a couple of those weight pockets to clip/attach on the strap to get some extra weight off my waist, if it makes any difference.

(Apologies if this is a re-post; I searched but couldn't find an answer on this forum to my question).

Thank you

the buckle on a cam band isn't the same as that you find on weight belts or harnesses. just buy the 20 dollar cam band from DGX imo.

what he said, you can't just use belt buckles, they have to be cam bands in order to keep the tanks from sliding.

If you're moving to a BP/W, just buy a BP/W set, it isn't any cheaper to piece meal it.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=rigs
Call Tobin, talk thru with him what you need as far as lift requirements etc, and for about $500 you're all in with top quality, made in USA equipment, including cam bands.

It is possible to make your own. I have. But the biggest cost is the buckles, as said they are not the same as belt buckles. Then you have to be able to sew webbing. And then have heavy duty wide velcro. Its a pain and I really like DIY. Just buy the cam bands. Lots of good options there, SS or the lighter versions. I like these...

XS Scuba Standard Cam Bands

uncfnp, you don't have to sew the webbing, you can use triglides to lock it back on itself on the buckle side. only issue there is you loose the velcro to stick it back to itself, but you can put some innertube on there and stuff it in here for single tank stuff. This is good if you have SS cam bands and the webbing wears out, but i don't think I've ever seen the cam buckles for sale separately.

tbone. I think I would be even less happy with the unsewn version. Selection that I am aware of is pretty limited. I tried the piranha dive version. May be others.

Plastic Cam Strap Buckle

Thank you for all the info. You people rock!

I have decided to buy the cam bands. I'm still piecing together my set, and will get them after I get the major items of my rig sorted. As mentioned above, it really isn't saving me any money - I might actually end up losing a little this way due to the extra shipping. On the plus side, I've learned a thing or two about putting together a rig and the parts, which is what I was really after.

Thanks again for all the advice.

I have decided to buy the cam bands. I'm still piecing together my set, and will get them after I get the major items of my rig sorted. As mentioned above, it really isn't saving me any money - I might actually end up losing a little this way due to the extra shipping. On the plus side, I've learned a thing or two about putting together a rig and the parts, which is what I was really after.

Smart move. If you have ever tried to sew through webbing, even to attach a strip of velcro, it is not a pretty picture unless you have a shoemaker quality sewing machine. After making a mess of it, you would likely have had to take it to a shoemaker anyway, paying more for the sewing job than if you had just bought the cam bands.

To get started, it is probably easiest and best to buy some already made.

Over time I had picked up most of the parts to make my own. 2" webbing bought in bulk for a couple homemade BPs. Scubapro buckles from some older style BCDs destined for the trash. SS triglides rather than sewing. (I did an early version using SS nuts and bolts - not worth the effort) Velcro tape glued to the webbing. A few D-rings in place of the missing parts on the Scubapro buckles.

They work fine.

Good move on buying the cam bands. I like the SS ones for the added weight.

It sounds like you are going down the path I took a few years ago.

I was the same way as you in that I saw more value in the experience of building it myself, rather than saving a few dollars by purchasing one already assembled.

I have not regretted that decision and in fact have built a second one for my son to use.

My complete parts list excluding wing is included in my original post about it.

I started with a Hog 32# wing, then moved that to the second BP/W and now use a Halcyon eclipse 30# wing.

Check out:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...and-weight-systems/440934-bp-w-questions.html

I ended up not using a grommet and instead used the tool that came with a cheap brass grommet kit to cut the hole in the webbing for the top bolt to pass through. Then put that hole over a candle flame and singed it real well.

I started with sex bolts, but have switched to a bold and wing nuts.

Back
Top Bottom