• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

DIY wing tutorial - very picture heavy.

Discussion in 'Making your own Gear' started by raftingtigger, Aug 1, 2017.

1. raftingtigger

raftingtigger Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Seems to be holding up fine. It feels like 1000 denier.

JamesBon92007 likes this.
  2. JamesBon92007

JamesBon92007 Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    While attempting to order some fabric (I just got back from 3 weeks on Cozumel :) ) I mentioned "airtight" and was told that the 600X300d PVC coated polyester is not airtight. What is your experience with it holding air? It seems like it would have to be more airtight than my snorkel vest. I'm thinking it should be just fine and they were being over-cautious.

Once again, nobody really said anything about my snorkel vest BC but I did hear someone refer to it as "minimalistic." We did the Coral Reef Conservation course via PADI and one of the required positions is to be feet up, head down while working on the coral and my BC did a fine job holding me in that position. The largest part of it is at the bottom so I think that helped to hold me in that position, which makes me think I'll make the lower section of my new DIY wing a little bigger at the bottom.

3. raftingtigger

raftingtigger Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I only have experience with the unmodified coating on 2 products. The first was a heat sealable one and that is designed to be airtight. I found that the coating broke down over years and with abrasion. This was fixed with an application of thinned AquaSeal (I now prefer SeamSeal from McNett for this). The second is a PVC coated Polyester (IIRC) that I linked the source in the first post. That one has less time on, but have seen no coating breakdown.

JamesBon92007 likes this.