Dizzy after decompression dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SentinelAce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I did 1 dive at 120' for 20 min. I dove 28% and deco with 50%. I followed the plan and switched gas at the proper depth. At 70' I started feeling a little dizzy and when I got to the surface I was pretty dizzy. After sitting out and drinking water and relaxing I was about 90% fine and later got a headache. I have never experienced this before but this was my first time diving these mixes. Any thoughts on why I got dizzy?

Bad gas, dehydration, pre dive exposure to desiel fumes...all come to mind.
Also possible: head cold, and differential release of pressure on the inner ear.

Also possible: head cold, and differential release of pressure on the inner ear.
Well I am thinking this could have been it. I was diving steels for the first time and added 4lbs total and probably needed 0 weight with my drysuit and under garments.

So you maybe did your first deco dive with a head cold?

My guess would be uneven equalizing of the ears. If it were bad gas, was anyone else diving from the same gas supplier? They would likely have similar complaints. Also, you probably wouldn’t recover from contaminated air so quickly. Incorrect mixes would be fine until the seizure started or you would have been bent. You ca always call DAN.

Did you eat before the dive? Did you take any medication? Did you check your gasses?

Things that come to mind: Skip breathing, dehydration, low blood sugar, high blood pressure, or you just had a off day.

I fear as divers, we all tend to forget diving in itself is stressful to the body and deco diving is even more stressful. I give an example : 200' feet dive on air compared to the same diving on trimix... First time I dive 200' on air, I enjoyed it, but felt I'd been clobbered...

So if we add that to dehydration, lack of a proper breakfast (or meal) before the dive, sea sickness (please don't laugh it's more common than you think, even for old sea dogs), fumes etc the cocktail seems a bit stiff to swallow.

I did have issues descending. I checked my gas and yes everyone there got the mix from the same place with no issues. I'm still feeling a little crappy today but not bad

Back
Top Bottom