DM - almost desided where to go...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you guys sure know how to make a girl feel welcome!

i'm begining to wonder why i even bothered posting to this board. i was hoping to get some good/friendly advice on where to do my divemasters, not to be treated like some niave young diver who'd rather shop than dive with a reputable company.

of course i want good instuctors! that is definitly my number one cirtiriea, which is why i came to this board! for advice!! so that people could reccommend some where repuatble! i'm sorry if i've confused everyone by saying padi 5 star. it doesn't have to be, but in my experience i have always been very pleased with the 5 stars i've dove with.

i'm not just looking for somewhere with good weather that i can shop! and i'm kind of insulted that you think i'd actually put that before a good instructor. i mearly added that cause since i'm going to be spending 2+ months somewhere i'd prefer not to get caught in the middle of monsoon season... and it would be nice if there were a place to have a beer and meet some people after a busy day.

i just want some advice! please... anyone...

I have spent alot of time on Koh Phangan.the diving is great on the north side of the island.
Thailand is a very safe place for a girl alone.
The food ...........The food...................
Koh phanagan is a slow paced island ,no fast food and poor roads
Koh Tao is all dive shop and nothing else to do.The diving just off the shore of Koh Tao is poor, the reef is damaged.but the boat diving is great.
Koh sammui is a great island also .the cost is higher but it's more like home ,with fast food ,nice roads.
I know of a great dive shop there if you are interested.

Al

The three centers you have picked are on the eastern side of Thailand and in the Gulf of Thailand.

Koh Tao is a buzzing throbbing island and although it only small it has a bit to offer. But it is only small. Very busy

Koh Phangnan is similar but not quite as busy, and I have heard that Vietnam is not the best place to dive.

My suggestion is look at Malaysia. The three islands I would look at there are Perhentian, Tioman and Redang. All along Kuala Terrengganu is stunning diving, the people are fantastic and there are lots of things to do apres dive.

It still has the "undiscovered" look to it in Perhentian. I lived in Malaysia for four years and in that time I loved every minute of it. I miss the people, the food, and the wonderful way nothing gets rushed.

Relax about the 5star thing, it means that the dc has decided they want to better themselves.

But I would say go for it!!!

I would agree Perhentians, Redang or Tioman would be a good place to spend a couple of months between May and September.

You can expect great weather, great diving and a nice relaxed way of life.

In the Perhentians, I would recommend Turtle Bay Divers (www.turtlebaydivers.com). On this island (actually 2 islands) you will find a backpacker type atmosphere with lots of little bars and restaurants. Nothing in the way of shopping, but enough to cover essentials.

On Tioman for diving you have to be based on Salang Beach where I would recommend B&J Diving (www.divetioman.com). Plenty of cheap accommodation, a couple of small shops and 3 or 4 bars.

I have not dived in Redang, but am told it is much more upmarket. The standard of living is high and hence much more expensive. Diving is resort based.

From all three it is possible to get to KL or Singapore in a day if you suddenly feel the need for the big city !!!

glamourpuss once bubbled...
you guys sure know how to make a girl feel welcome!

i'm begining to wonder why i even bothered posting to this board. i was hoping to get some good/friendly advice on where to do my divemasters, not to be treated like some niave young diver who'd rather shop than dive with a reputable company.

of course i want good instuctors! that is definitly my number one cirtiriea, which is why i came to this board! for advice!! so that people could reccommend some where repuatble! i'm sorry if i've confused everyone by saying padi 5 star. it doesn't have to be, but in my experience i have always been very pleased with the 5 stars i've dove with.

i'm not just looking for somewhere with good weather that i can shop! and i'm kind of insulted that you think i'd actually put that before a good instructor. i mearly added that cause since i'm going to be spending 2+ months somewhere i'd prefer not to get caught in the middle of monsoon season... and it would be nice if there were a place to have a beer and meet some people after a busy day.

i just want some advice! please... anyone...

No insult was intended honest. As a dive shop owner I get a fair number of DM's walking in the door wanting to DM who are not ready even though they have a card. Just trying to help. Good luck.

Mike

... but if you want to be a good DM then these are the things I used to look for in a DM
1) learn to DM in a cold environment. Warm water is easier, but when the viz is down to 6 foot or less, the control of your people gets really good.
2) Learn to drive a boat (and charts, tides & weather)
3) Learn to operate compressors
4) Learn to basically service equipment. (O ring changing n all equipment,and cleaning)
5) Learn about photgraphy. You dont have to be able to produce good photos, just be able to improve other's photos.

I once taught an underwater photography specialty, when I had never taken an underwater photo in my life. We went into the pool and reeled off 36 shots of weights, rubber fish and me doing headstands and juggling u/w. Then we went to the dive and he took some excellent photos because of the manual we had BOTH read the night before!!!

6) If you speak any other European Languages, then you will be worth your weight in gold.
I have taught to Germans, Japanese and Arabs, without speaking the languages fluently but learning basic terms for mask, fins and snorkel, and ascent/descent.

If you go to Koh Tao, then learn some Swedish/Norwegian or Danish (I know the words for owl and steering wheel cover)
Going to Malaysia, then learn some Dutch (although they speak excellent english) and if you go to Vietnam, then French is a good language to have some of.

thanks belushi those are all excellent points and things i definitly want to learn. i'm looking for a good dive shop where i'll have a chance to learn all of those things, i plan on spending a few months learning not just a quick 10 day cert. so i'm optimistic i'll have a chance experience as many things as possible!

i know what you mean about learning in cold water, i did my open water cert in vancouver bc. in the middle of november! it was *@!#(!!* cold! but i sure did feel a lot more comfortable the first time i dove warm water!

H Glamourpuss,

I don't know if I'm going to through a problem into all the planning you have so far made as it seems your set on SE Asia, but I am going to be doing exactly the same thing as you. DM and IDC somewhere during June to September. Top of my list is out of Durban, South Africa. A friend who lives in Durban has recently bought a house so he is now renting out his 3 bed appartment. Would be a great place to make base to do the courses, follow the sardine run a bit, maybe do safari. Not only is SA really exciting its very cheap at the moment.

I will be going to LIDS to talk the courses and diving through with a couple of operators a week on Saturday with a view to firming up plans by the end of March.

Neil

hey Neil,
if yure going to LIDS, please say hello to my friends Reon and Karen in the DiveSouth stall - www.divesouth.co.za

they're absolute LEGENDS!!!

james

Hi James,

I talked with Reon And Karen at the Birmingham show and have been in contact with them since. I can tell you that Reon is climbing Killamanjaro this week, he'll be back Saturday. Both are at LIDS and I will be sure to say hi from you.

Neil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom