DM assisting an SSI instructor question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Queequeg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm an SDI DM...and I am thinking of going thru SSI to get my instructor rating. However, our shop is affiliated with SDI but has been thinking of going SSI. The crossover costs is the hang up right now; all of our DM's and instructors are SDI.

My question is when I obtain an SSI instructor rating, does the DM assisting me have to be an SSI DiveCon/DM or can they be a DM affilitated with another agency....such as SDI?

Thank you.

By SSI's standards an Instructor may use a certified assistant, it does not say that they must be of one agency or another. However, it must be within the confines of that level as defined by SSI. Dive Con is equivalent to most other agencies' Assistant Instructors. A Dive Con may teach the academic portion of an Open Water course under the indirect supervision of an Open Water Instructor & may teach, under indirect supervision, the pool/ confined water sessions except for emergency procedures. A Dive Con may not conduct Open Water evaluations.

Be aware that an SSI Instructor must be affiliated with an SSI shop/ dealer, just like SDI.

Thank You. Thats exactly what i needed to know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom