DM Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Submariner, Once again, you've nailed it. Planning and proper training are essential.

Mario, I'm impressed by your dedication, but I don't see a need for communication devices, but there are disadvantages. Your students "may" become overly dependent on you being able to talk to them.

Lo Coz, Excellent idea, but you are correct, it takes years to learn an entire language. One thing about SCUBA hand signals, the major ones tend to be international in nature. Sign language is less universal than English. American Sign Language is a totally different language than English Sign Language. ASL happens to be my second best language, I studied it for 2 years. It is very useful in diving even when others don't sign. It is amazing when your buddy does sign.

DivingGal, I'd add a dive computer to the list others have already made. For most divers, a computer is nice to have. For a DM or instructor, they make a very big difference. I was a DM when computers were rare, it's much easier with a computer.

Walter

Thanks Walter - a dive computer was one of my first purchases as a diver. I love it. By no means does it replace a sound knowledge of the tables, but it sure helps me monitor my ascent speed. I'm actually thinking of eventually "upgrading" the one I have to get one that activates automatically when I hit the water. Although my buddy (who ever it is at the time) and I do a buddy check, on an occassion or two either my buddy or I have forgotten to activate our computer. Frustrating. Any recommendations for a computer? :confused:

LoCz, in all fairness, I can think of at least two other words off the top of my head that have legitamate representation in the dictionaries, but will simply get you killed when used in the wrong audience. You can always ICQ me if you don't beleive me, and I'd be happy to let you know what's up!

Diving Gal, When I managed a dive store, computers were one of my strongest areas. Air integration is the key, which gives you two great chioces to choose from. If you prefer a conventioned hosed unit the Suunto Cobra http://www.suunto.fi/diving/cobra.html is the best choice. If you prefer a hoseless unit, the new Aladin Air Z O2 http://www.uwatec.com/english/SPEC-DR.htm is totally sweet!

Walter, originally I wrote about owning a send/receive unit for myself and my assistant, while letting the students have the receive only units. Hand signals are of course taught as part of the class, and utilized extensively during the confined water training. The comm gear was intended for just the Open Water. Sometimes things like that get lost when the threads get long and we hop from subject to subject.

Mario :D

Thanks Mario for the advice on the computer. If I have any further questions, I'll be in touch.

TTFN June (That's really me ya know) :wink:

Ok well it was just an idea ...but def and dumb is an aceptable term in england. Maybe its diffrent over there i dunno, but thx for the warning.

Hey guys among all the other misc. junk I carry in my DM bag I carry a cell phone, a portable vhf radio, spare mask,personal first aide kit,and save-a-dive kit.

I like to keep extra mask strap's fin strap's, fin buckles and a spare mask in my dive float. I leave the cell phone in my gear bag on the beach.

A Rescue bag is a throw bag that has about 75-100ft of line in it. It's designed mainly for the rescuer to throw on end of the line to someone in the water to assist them in getting back to the shore or boat without having to enter the water.

You know it's amazing. Here I thought I could be somewhat delinquent in my equipment that I might need to be a "Great" DM. I guess anytime that I've gone diving I've observed what gear my fellow divers took along and how the DM (if there was one) handled themselves. So over time, besides having what I needed to dive (exposure suits, tanks, reg, mask etc etc) I've also added to my "bring along list" things like
a well stocked first aid kit
Save-a-dive kits
Extra plastic locking ties
Extra water
Fruit leathers or something like them for quick energy
Tarp(s) to lay down on the ground so that equipment can be put together (and apart) "dirt" free
Camp chair - the kind that collapse down to practically nothing
Cell phone (stays on shore/ on the boat)
Spare glasses/contact lens

I like the idea of the rescue bag, so I'll be adding it. Thanks for all the great advice.

DivingGal,
There is one other thing that I forgot about until I was in the garage today, is one of those cheap disposable camera's. It would be very useful for documentation if an accident ever occured either with your group or one of the surrounding groups.

Fruit leather's for energy huh? Would edible fruit flavored underwear count? LOL! Just kidding! Just making sure noone was falling asleep!

Hey Mario, I found something that works better than a throw bag. I picked up a throw "saucer", looks like a giant frisbe that has about 100 feet of line wrapped around its center and is thrown just like you would a frisbe. The range is awsome and the accuracy is great. I got mine from a friend who does rescue work for the local F.D. here. I dont do many beach dives here, mostly boat dives. There is not much to see just off the beach on the coast of Florida.
I carry the saucer whenever Im on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom