DM Internship - where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The link for Bali Scuba is: baliscuba.com

Also, they are celebrating their 20th aniversary this May. Most (and maybe all training) is 50% off. That is great as their base prices already beat anybody's prices in the US and Caribbean. Also, the Sindhu Mertha guest house is right accross from Bali Scuba, and they have 1/2 off for Bali Scuba customers also...
Dive well.... Moke

I'm actually also looking for a DM internship in Asia, having dived extensively in Indonesia and various other places.

One of my consideration is the distance to the dive sites. Although Bali has a few decent dive sites, my only comment is that the dive sites are all scattered and quite a distance from the city area (2 to 3 hours driving each way). Not really impressed with the Padang Bai sites and there is not always demand for Nusa Penida.

I did my Rescue in Ko Phi Phi and now considering Philippines (Puerto Galera), Menado or Palau for my DM. My main consideration is quality and diversity of dive sites, decent topside activities (not party till you drop type) and reasonable cost.

I live and work on Koh Tao as a dive instructor and around 5 years ago completed my DM and Instructor course here too.

There are some 40 dive schools here to choose from and some great course directors too. Wheather you want a busy bustling dive centre or a quieter more personalised one - theyre all here and with instructors speaking many different languages too.

You can complete training in both PADI and SSI and there are excellent technical diving facilities too. You could pretty much train for anything you wanted here.

The diving and courses are cheap and so is your cost of living. There is an excellent social scene but if you want peace and quiet you can get that too. The diving is best from March til late September but we do dive all year around. With so many divers and centres your propects of finding work are quite good too.

Your DM will cost around 25000 baht and you can rent somewhere to live for 6000 baht a month.

If you want any more specific advice or recomendation please feel free to messageme directly for some pointers.

Ayesha:

Thanks for your feedback. I've actually stayed in Ko Phi Phi for more than one month but found that the diving is more suitable for OW courses rather than DM, based on my personal preference. Most of the dive sites are shallow (max 20m) with no currents, although the marine life was quite abundant.

During that time, I also met quite a few people who dove and trained in Ko Tao before they came to Phi Phi. Rightly or wrongly, they said the diving on the Gulf side is not much different or better. As such, I did not have the urge to visit the area. I might be wrong but I prefer a dive location where there are more diverse sites and challenging conditions (walls, reefs, macro, pelagics, currents, etc.) in order to improve my diving skills/knowledge, improve my stamina and build my diving confidence.

As I am not looking to become a diving professional, I would also like to enjoy my diving on a day-to-day basis while pushing my limits. That is not to say that I did not enjoy my experience in Thailand as I was exposed to a new culture, met friendly people and saw abundant marine life on a day-to-day basis.

I might be wrong but I prefer a dive location where there are more diverse sites and challenging conditions (walls, reefs, macro, pelagics, currents, etc.) in order to improve my diving skills/knowledge, improve my stamina and build my diving confidence.

Then look into Pulau Weh. The conditions at some of the sites can get pretty challenging at times (strong currents regularly with downcurrents on odd occasion...). You really get to learn how to dive in currents there, as it's not strictly 'drift diving' - you do have to work into the current at times. But you've also got a nice gentle house reef directly in front of the dive centre where you can hunt for macro creatures whilst honing your navigation skills. The house reef also makes it easy to jump in and practice your skill circuits many times too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom